Zhukov or Guderian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zhukov or Guderian

Imran brought up Zhukov, so here ya go...
    Zhukov
    31.37%
    Guderian
    54.90%
    Banana
    13.73%
    Last edited by Lancer; November 15, 2003, 01:04.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I still like Guderian..... Grandpa of the Lightning War!

Zhukov was good, perhaps could have better without Stalin looking over his shoulder....that should scare anyone.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Guderian, hands down.

Zhukov's successes were built on large part of sheer luck, the ineptness/bad luck of his opponents and his willingness to send his own men into a meat grinder. I think this sums it up nicely:

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Hasty Heinz.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Guderian spent much of the war outside actual field positions. He was responsible for developing the blitzkreig doctrine and organizing the German panzer troops.

Guderian's actual field commands were a Panzer Corps in Poland and France, and the 2nd Panzergruppe in Russia. He was defeated by Zuhkov before Moscow in December 1941, after which he was relieved by Hitler. He later became chief of the General Staff until fired again by Hitler in March 1945.

All of which begs the question. Who was the better general, Guderian, or the guy who beat him?
          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            Guderian, hands down.

Zhukov's successes were built on large part of sheer luck, the ineptness/bad luck of his opponents and his willingness to send his own men into a meat grinder. I think this sums it up nicely:

http://www.monarch.net/users/miller/...oes_Zhukov.htm
            This is not an objective assesment, IMHO. Can you say who wrote it and what their qualifications might be?
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Guderian was the theorist and strategist, Zhukov the soldier who fought, and won.
              Vote Democrat
              Support Democracy

Comment

I also think that Zhukov deserves lots of credit for managing the logistics of far larger forces, esp. later on.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  Guderian, hands down.

http://www.monarch.net/users/miller/...oes_Zhukov.htm
                  That isn't evidence, it's barely veiled opinion. I vote for Guderian as well, but I think Zhukov was a decent general. His great skill was being able to develop a battle to his liking on an operational level, much as Wellesley was able to do against Napolean tactically. He was of course given a rather free hand to do so by Stalin which was nice for him, and of course excellent Soviet intelligence at the highest levels of the Wehrmacht helped immensely. Still, he was often able gain a massive superiority on selected parts of the front despite often being on the defensive and the enemy having air superiority, which compromises operational security significantly.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

One of the first things I think of when I hear or read the name Zhukov is that unfortunate start to the final assault on Berlin. Zhukov set up hundereds of lights towards the enemies position so that his troops would attack out of the 'sun'. Instead the lights reflected on the smoke from his enormous attilley barrage back and blinded his own frontoviks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                      One of the first things I think of when I hear or read the name Zhukov is that unfortunate start to the final assault on Berlin. Zhukov set up hundereds of lights towards the enemies position so that his troops would attack out of the 'sun'. Instead the lights reflected on the smoke from his enormous attilley barrage back and blinded his own frontoviks.
                      Fortunately for the Russians, the Germans put those lights out real quickly.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Not that it matted much for Zhukov in the end, my grandmother could have won that campaign.

Comment

Zhukov was good, but didn't exactly bring anything new to the table besides an ability to not get replaced by Stalin on a regular basis.

Comment

I think you're underestimating this huge achievement.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

This is getting old.

Reminds me a bit of Slowwhand's eternal birthday threads, every other day of the year a new thread on basically the same subject. A bit much I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X