X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully Some Good Economic News That Will Last

Tax refunds expected to jump 27%
    By Barbara Hagenbaugh, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON — Taxpayers' refund checks will increase nearly 27% to an average $2,500 per family early next year, according to new forecasts from tax experts and economists, who say the windfalls will aid consumers, the economy and President Bush's re-election campaign.
    As a result of the 2003 tax cut, about 8 million families who did not receive refunds this year will likely get them in 2004, says tax software publisher Petz Enterprises. It estimates refunds for the tax season will go to 108 million households vs. 100 million this year and will total $227 billion. That's up 38% from 2003. Merrill Lynch estimates total refunds from February through May will be up 34% from this year.

The Treasury Department estimates it will collect $100 billion less in taxes in the first half of 2004 than it would have without the tax cut. That reflects not only the higher refunds but also reduced tax payments by those who don't get refunds.

The refunds will fatten bank accounts and, if spent, boost the economy because consumer spending accounts for 70% of U.S. economic activity. That will help ensure that the economic gains underway do not fizzle out, and it will ultimately benefit the 9 million Americans who are out of work.

An improving economy would aid Bush's re-election hopes and blunt Democratic criticism of job losses and economic weakness during his tenure. But the cuts, along with increased federal spending, have contributed to a record federal budget deficit that is estimated to hit $494 billion this year.

"There is a real strong correlation between after-tax income growth and the share of the vote the incumbent party candidate gets," says Mark Vitner, senior economist at Wachovia Securities in Charlotte who has studied the historical links between economics and elections.

"The economy should actually help Bush," he says.

The larger refunds aren't an accident. Because the tax cut was passed midyear and was retroactive, taxpayers are entitled to more money to reflect their tax overpayments from the first half of 2003, unless they adjusted their withholding later in the year — something few likely did, says Craig Petz, head of marketing at Petz Enterprises, which publishes TaxBrain software.

The biggest winners, Petz says, will be the approximately 10 million married couples with a combined income of $46,700 to $56,800. Those couples dropped from the 27% bracket to the 15% bracket.

Other winners will include parents who had their first child in 2003. They will be eligible for a $1,000 credit. Married couples may also receive benefits.

With the job market improving, more consumers likely will feel comfortable spending their refund money rather than saving it or using it to pay off bills.

"There should be a pretty good propensity to spend," says Kathy Bostjancic, a senior economist with Merrill Lynch.

That spending will be on top of a spree consumers went on earlier this year. Not only did workers see their withholding taxes cut midyear, but $14 billion in child-tax-credit checks hit mailboxes right before the back-to-school shopping season. Both Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs figure consumers spent about three-quarters of that money, far more than anyone expected and much more than after the 2001 tax cuts.

The spending gain led to the biggest jump in economic activity in 19 years in the July-September quarter. The tax cut "clearly provided the boost the economy needed to get back on track," Treasury Secretary John Snow said in a speech Thursday.

Noting that retail sales growth has slipped recently, some economists have worried the initial tax cut boost is fading. But others argue the refunds next year will keep the party going.

"The people who think it (third-quarter growth) was a one-shot sugar high have another think coming," says Greg Valliere, managing director of Schwab Washington Research Group.
    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Well, I know I am going to owe quite a bit in taxes. I have nothing really to write off and I have hardly any with holdings claimed... I would rather have the money now, I just try to keep what owe around 10% of what I have earned.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Hopefully Some Good Economic News That Will Last

Originally posted by Defiant
      Tax refunds expected to jump 27%
      By Barbara Hagenbaugh, USA TODAY
      WASHINGTON — Taxpayers' refund checks will increase nearly 27% to an average $2,500 per family early next year,
      You know how averages work, right? If I get $100 and you get zero, then between the two of us, we've each received an average of $50 per person. Isn't that great news? Given that the tax cuts were aimed at the very wealthy, most of us will be lucky to see much of an improvement.

This isn't good news. It just means that the national treasury, which is the property of you and me, will be further looted in the interests of George Bush's campaign contributers. Crony capitalism has come home to roost.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Che, the article did say "families". They cut the taxes for people with "families", dependents. This is rather good, no? Really messes with the averages since they probably didn't base it on "working class"...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Rich people have families too.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Che,
            Then what is this phrase all about?

"The biggest winners, Petz says, will be the approximately 10 million married couples with a combined income of $46,700 to $56,800. Those couples dropped from the 27% bracket to the 15% bracket."

Those don't look like the richest people to me, how about you?
            Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

And rich people are more likely to invest "additional" monies, than are middle class or poor people. The goal of the tax cut is to stimulate the economy by creating jobs and investing in buisnesses, not to give a blue collar worker a vacation, a new car, or the like.

Then again, it isn't to give a rich guy that new jet either.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

This is a test

Just testing - browser bugs - please ignore
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The leftist ideology is basically about screwing over the rich and keep the poor dependent of government.

Comment

This is not good news.

First Janus, then Putnam, Now Schwab. I got a feeling every major mutual fund companies are engaged in this kind of behavior.

Comment

Okay, let's take the top end of that bracket, $56,800.

Before, their income taxes were (not accounting for deductions and exemptions): $9744

Now their taxes are (also not accounting d&e): $8520

So there's a $1224 difference.

If we took deductions and exemptions into account, there would be less of a difference. I'll certainly be happy to take the money, but I dubt most of those families are gonna run out and spend this money. Either it will go in the bank or it will be used to pay down debt.

Comment

We know that Lord Merciless. It's why I'm always bashing social programs. Some people just hate it when the more you earn (generally meaning the more you work) the more you keep.

Personally, I would of liked to have seen a drop in other taxes other than income taxes; i.e. sales tax, luxury taxes, capital gains taxes. I think that type of approach would of encouraged people to spend more, at least more than just giving them more money.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
                          The leftist ideology is basically about screwing over the rich and keep the poor dependent of government.
                          Yup, yuo sure pegged us.

Comment

Well, the right wing hates the environment and poor people...
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Rich people have families too.
                              The bastards!

Comment

Working...
                              X