Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Givin' up the cancer sticks

Hey guys,

I got pretty sick a few days ago, so I decided to use the opportunity to quit smoking cigarettes. I've been smoking for about two years now, and for the past year it's been about a pack a day. I'm done, though, because they're driving me crazy.

I'm now into day three and I haven't really felt any cravings, which is strange because usually after about twelve hours of not having one, I'm about ready to murder somebody.

When do the REAL cravings set in, and when do they end? I know they'll always be around, but when are you pretty much out of the woods? I want to have a goal to look forward to -- makes it harder to give into pressure.
    the good reverend

Ah, you were only smoking for 2 years, you should be ok.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

True, but I'm a weak person.
      the good reverend

Comment

Meditation is key, remember this
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

good luck.

if you are concerned about weight gain, there has been research that says extra caffeine can help combat that.

but I doubt guys concern themselves with weight gain like women do .

Comment

If anything, I *want* to gain some weight. I've been trying to gain weight for months, but all in all I've lost five pounds. :P
            the good reverend

Comment

I've quit several times and usually don't have any cravings at all. Perhaps because my inclination to quit was based upon feeling crappy, the physical addiction doesn't seem to count for much. Of course I've started smoking again each time after having weathered the physical addiction completely, which just goes to show how much of addiction is completely psychological, at least in my case.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Good for you!
                What?

Comment

Re: Givin' up the cancer sticks

Originally posted by rev
                  Hey guys,

I got pretty sick a few days ago, so I decided to use the opportunity to quit smoking cigarettes. I've been smoking for about two years now, and for the past year it's been about a pack a day. I'm done, though, because they're driving me crazy.

I'm now into day three and I haven't really felt any cravings, which is strange because usually after about twelve hours of not having one, I'm about ready to murder somebody.

When do the REAL cravings set in, and when do they end? I know they'll always be around, but when are you pretty much out of the woods? I want to have a goal to look forward to -- makes it harder to give into pressure.
                  First three days were the worst for me. It's supposed to take a month to get all the nicotine out of your system - good time to aim for.

Well done.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Good luck, rev. Stay strong!

30 days is a good marker. Cravings will recur occasionally for years. Shouldn't be as bad for you, though, with only 2 yrs of history...
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Studies show that the body asks for nicotine for 36 to 72 hours, after that it is only psychological...Never the less, I never could stop smoking....I wish it were easy...

Damn you Imperial tabacco!! DAMN YOU!!!!

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

First 72 hours is definitely the worst.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

The next 72 ain't too great either. I'm just back after another failed attempt to give up.

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I'm about 12 hours away from completing my first 72. I had some weird dreams late last night, then around 4AM I woke up and definitely had some cravings.

I think I can hold out. Someone advised me to drink a lot of water throughout the day to help clear the toxins, so I'm gonna start doing that, keep a tally drawn on my hand or something. And eat a lot. Mmm.

The one thing I regret about quitting is that I won't be able to perform my party trick anymore. It's a little difficult to do, but it's a good conversation starter. Some of you may have seen people dispense part of the contents of a bhutane lighter into their first, light it and create a fireball. Yeah, impressive.

Anyway, my trick is a bit more complicated and you need a lot of practice (though a few have done it in the first few tries). You fill your closed fist with bhutane (wait until it feels a little bit cool inside) -- fill it where your thumb meets your index finger, and make sure they're at the top so as not to leak bhutane. Place a cigarette in your mouth and light the top of your fist. Don't just let the fire explode and immediately burn away the bhutane -- control it long enough for you to put the cigarette above/into the flames and then release your fist, while inhaling through the cigarette.

Wah-lah, you just lit a cigarette with a fireball from your fist. My description may be a bit long-winded, but it's a pretty fun party trick and I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing it.

Please, carry the torch, so to speak.
                            the good reverend

Comment

I found that orange juice was good for helping with cravings, not sure if that was psychological or physical but it worked for me.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X