Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes an album good in your opinion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    My two favourite albums of this year are

    The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatoriam
    Kind of a modern prog rock epic with it's roots in hardcore. Virtually nothing that could be a single on the whole album.

    Dizee Rascal - Boy in da corner
    Brilliant, and brutal, urban British hip-hop from some teenage kid making his first record. A collection of great songs.

    Ok, both albums have been critically acclaimed (in the Brittish music press at least) but despite that they are still really good. Examples of the two types of great albums that Rev mentioned, and I would agree with.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

    Comment


    • #32
      r.kelly? you honestly consider him music, rather than manufactured product? seriously. look what the stones did to marrianne faithful. and they got off more or less scot free. that boy is going to jail for a long time, it seems.

      what? is our musical taste not dark enough for you, albert? what bout Davis or Coltrane? mmm? or should i go back even farther to Wagner, Bethoven, and Shcubert?
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

      Comment


      • #33
        One of my friends wants to be catapulted off the white cliffs of dover in his coffin when he dies with "I believe I can fly" by R Kelly being blasted out over a huge stereo.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by monolith94
          Also, Ray Charles and Curtis Mayfield are great too.
          Curtis Mayfield, the Staples Singers, Erma Franklin, Parliament, Cissy Houston, Big Bill Broonzy, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Isaac Hayes, the O'Jays, Bill Withers, Big Maybelle, Labelle, M.F.S.B., the Intruders, Memphis Slim, John Lee Hooker.... Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald's albums as a duo are wonderful too- I love their version of the songs from 'Porgy and Bess'.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

          ...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

          Comment


          • #35
            don't forget Funkadelic, too. if it wasn't for george clinton, most rappers wouldn't have anything to sample.... except rock music.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by self biased
              don't forget Funkadelic, too. if it wasn't for george clinton, most rappers wouldn't have anything to sample.... except rock music.
              They'd still have Kraftwerk. And jazz-funk albums. And the Last Poets. And Nina Simone. And early seventies porno film soundtracks by European electronic music composers.

              There's a compilation out that I saw today of music from the 'Black Panther' period:



              I really enjoy getting seventies and sixties compilations, because there's always several tracks that instantly come back to mind- the ones you heard while eating breakfast, before walking to school, with your head buzzing with the sound of things like Redbone's 'Witch Queen of New Orleans' or 'The Son of Hickory Holler's Tramp' or 'Let's Clean Up The Ghetto' or Isaac Hayes' epic version of 'By The Time I get To Phoenix'....
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

              ...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

              Comment


              • #37
                true enough, molly.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by MikeH
                  One of my friends wants to be catapulted off the white cliffs of dover in his coffin when he dies with "I believe I can fly" by R Kelly being blasted out over a huge stereo.
                  The catapulted coffin - yes, cool!

                  The R. Kelly? God no!
                  Speaking of Erith:

                  "It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Availability in RAR, ZIP, TAR.GZ, or ACE format is a good sign.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Great tracks makes a good album, like this one:

                      101 herbie hancock - rockit
                      102 sugarhill gang - 8th wonder
                      103 grandmaster flash and the furious 5 - freedom
                      104 trouble funk - drop the bomb
                      105 afrika bambaataa and family - funk you
                      106 run dmc - peter piper
                      107 treacherous three - yes we can can
                      108-the_45_king-900_number-jce
                      109-fantastic_alleems-release_yourself-jce
                      110-eric_b_and_rakim-i_know_you_got_soul-jce
                      111-schooly_d-saturday_night-jce
                      112-boogie_down_productions-my_philosophy-jce
                      113-guy-teddys_jam-jce
                      114-ultramagnetic-ego_tripping-jce
                      115-kurtis_blow-if_i_ruled_the_world-jce
                      116-salt_n_pepa-tramp-jce
                      117-pm_dawn-set_a_drift_on_memory_bliss-jce

                      201-black_sheep-the_choice_is_yours-jce
                      202-a_tribe_called_quest-scenero-jce
                      203-krs_one-black_cop-jce
                      204-wu_tang_clan-aint_nuttin_to_****_wit_shame_on_a_nigga-jce
                      205-nas-my_state_of_mind-jce
                      206-father_mc-treat_em_right-jce
                      207-the_lost_boyz-music_makes_me_high-jce
                      208-dj_kool-let_me_clear_my_throat-jce
                      209-mobb_deep-hell_on_earth-jce
                      210-whoudini-the_haunted_house_of_rock-jce
                      211-jay_z-hard_knock_life-jce
                      212-outkast-ms_jackson-jce
                      213-bubba_sparxxx-ugly-jce
                      214-eric_sermon-i_am_hot-jce
                      215-mr_cheeks-lights_camera_action-jce
                      216-petey_pablo-i_told_ya-jce
                      217-cee_lo-getting_grown-jce
                      218-clipse-grindin-jce

                      this is a good one... Kraftwerk Bambaataa Presents Eastside 2cd.. downloadable @ nearest mp3 site.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X