Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes an album good in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes an album good in your opinion?

what seperates an album that you find amazing from one that is mediocre?

to me, its quite simple... can i listen to it multiple times through? many cds i listen to one time and often I get bored half way through or I can't bring myself to listen to it a second time through. Even months later, i can not listen to the cd again. other cds, i can listen to through but not constantly. maybe once every few weeks.

a few albums, however, as soon as i'm done listening to it the first time (with me conflicted between rewinding songs or continuing through the tracklist), i'm eager to listen to it again. its all about playability.

what about you?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

I want my albums to have street cred. I don't want no punks from the suburbs trying to act like they from the ghetto and ****. ****ing posers...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If I'm still listening to it, then it must be good. We'll give it a time frame. If I'm still listening to it after a year, then it is a good album.

Comment

Good songs on the album.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I only listen to Wiggles albums.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

if it has more than 2 songs that don't suck
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If I buy a CD with only 2 or 3 good songs I make a compilation and won't see the original CD any more as it joins the dust heap with all the others.

That's why I like Rush and Pink Floyd, some of their albums are good all the way thru.

Comment

An album is good when it has Paul McCartney playing base on several John Lennon songs.
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

I prefer John Lennon singing backing vocals on several Paul McCartney songs.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It has to be free for me to buy it.
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      if it has more than 2 songs that don't suck
                      by that qualification, disturbed's 'believe' would be a good album. and it isn't. as much as i like them, mudvayne's second offering 'the end of all things to come,' is borderline at best.

for me, an album has to speak to me as a cohesive whole. every song a part, but when taken together, more than that.

examples of good albums:

nine inch nails: the downward spiral, the fragile.
                      sepultura: roots.
                      johnny cash: american IV.
                      david bowie: space oddity, the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars.
                      fear factory: obsolete.
                      audioslave: audioslave.

examples of poor albums:
                      fear factory: digimortal. good in concept, poor in execution. next time, let's not bury the cymbals.
                      disturbed: beleive. this is more regurgitated crap from them. the first album was okay, this one could have been good, or even great. i'm rather disappointed.
                      tin machine: any album. just goes to show, that they all can't be winners, eh, mister bowie?
                      korn: issues, untouchables. lacks both energy and motivation. sounds simply uninspired.
                      marilyn manson: holy wood. i'm a big fan, but again, uninspired.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

most of my metal albums I like every single song.

I've never been one of those people who like only 1 or 2 songs. I love all music. Every song has some redeeming feature to it.

Let's discuss:

Metallica's new album- panned by many as horrible. But I do love every song. Even the weaker songs like purify and my world. Those are the worst songs on the album, but they do have some redeemable features to them, and I won't change them on my cd player when they come on.

Every Tool song on every Tool album. I love them all. Though lateralus has a couple of slow songs sometimes I'm not in the mood for. But they are pretty cool as well.

Every Iron Maiden song on the first 7 albums.

Every Sepultura song on most of their albums I love.

I just can't get enough. I love it all.

Comment

diss- i really liked frantic, but i get the impression that metallica's forcing the vibe, and trying to be something they're not. to be honest, i think i'd rather listen to something off of load or reload.

i agree with you on tool, though. god, they're fantastic, gifted musicians. my current favorites at the moment are 'stinkfist' and... i think it's 'disposition' off of lateralus. the one that goes:
                          "watch the weather change..."

Comment

well I won't disagree that they are trying to force something. Especially evident on St. Anger with that rap-metal singing bit (bust out, bust out). I'm curious what will happen in the future. How long can such a heavy band go? They aren't exactly the style of the rolling stones. You would think there is a limit to how old they can go and still maintain a certain style.

Comment

dare i say it, i think metallica's always been a little on the soft side. imean, take a look at max cavalera. that man will be spewing bile until he's eighty, and has to have his orderly help him headbang.

i'm curious: what do you think of the three latest sepultura albums, Against, Nation, and Roorback? i've got to give derek green credit. he's not doing a bad job from what i've heard on Nation. it's just the rest of the band that's gotten sloppy.

Comment

Working...
                              X