No announcement yet.

Whats a Philly cheese-steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having traveled thru Philly and eaten an 'authentic' philly chz-steak I admit to being woefully underimpressed.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Nah, Boston or NYC make the best cheese steak subs!

I've tried Jim Steaks on South St. in Philly and wasn't too impressed. Any decent places in the city to get a philly cheese steak hogie?
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Re: Whats a Philly cheese-steak?

Originally posted by Albert Speer
        no really? what is it? I cook some steak and cheese, put it on a roll, and, by virtue of me being in philly, it's a philly cheese-steak. correct?
        The best cheesteak in the Delaware Valley is in NJ. Gaetano's. In Willingboro, Burlington, and a couple of other locations I can't recall. No place in Philly or anywhere else can beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          real philly cheesesteaks are made in philly.

kinda like chicago dogs, or chicago deep dish. you *can* have it in other places, but the aura of the city isn't embedded in the cuisine, so it doesn't taste as good.

I can do without the aura of Chicago thank you
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
            Cheez Wiz?! Commie

A good one has american or swiss. Plus you have to have onions and bell peppers mixed in with the meat.

That's authentic.
            Sorry, buddy. Authentic Philly Cheese Steak is made with Cheese Wiz.

Pat Oliveri invented the cheesesteak back in 1930. Since then generations of South Philadelphians have been heading to the corner of 9th and Shunk and to Pat's for a "Steak Wit" and a cherry soda.

"Steak Wit" translates to a cheesesteak topped with Cheeze Wiz and Fried onions.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I can do without the aura of Chicago thank you

c'mon, how could you?

i went into one of those hot dog joints near lincoln park with a few of my friends; there was a very clear sign saying "NO SMOKING" in the front, and as we were waiting for our order, the guy went back, picked up his lit cigarrette, and started cookin'. a bit of ash fell into the fry fryer...

how could you turn that down?
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Sorry, buddy. Authentic Philly Cheese Steak is made with Cheese Wiz.

Pat Oliveri invented the cheesesteak back in 1930. Since then generations of South Philadelphians have been heading to the corner of 9th and Shunk and to Pat's for a "Steak Wit" and a cherry soda.

"Steak Wit" translates to a cheesesteak topped with Cheeze Wiz and Fried onions.
                Pat's Steaks are for tourists who want an "authentic" Philly cheesteak. I can name at least a half-dozen places inside the city and in the suburbs that are better.

Pat's Steaks

Jim's Steaks

Gaetano's #1

Comment

Pat's Steaks are for tourists who want an "authentic" Philly cheesteak. I can name at least a half-dozen places inside the city and in the suburbs that are better.

'Better' doesn't matter worth a damn when you are talking about authentic. Cheese Wiz is a primary part of an authentic 'Philly Cheese Steak'.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

'Better' doesn't matter worth a damn when you are talking about authentic. Cheese Wiz is a primary part of an authentic 'Philly Cheese Steak'.
                    I disagree. Pat's makes the "authentic" Philly CS because everyone accepts the claim that he invented CS in 1930. One of the ways you can have your authentic CS at Pats is with Cheese Wiz. A Philly CS does not become any less authentic w/o cheese whiz...

For those of you who have never had the benefit of enjoying a true Philadelphia Cheesesteak I offer the following classification guidelines for the proper manufacture and consumption of the "Philly Cheesesteak."

In Philly there are only three four things you can EXPECT to find in, surrounding or on a Cheesesteak and that is:

Hoagie Roll: Amoroso's is the most famous local bakery and is utilized by a few discerning Cheesteak vendors across the country. Despite the typical philadelphian's attitude towards the roll, there are a few suitable replacements worldwide; however, they are extremely difficult to find.

Steak: Thinly sliced meat: NOT Roast beef and not Steak-um (although Steak-um is the only acceptable replacement under extreme circumstances that allows you to continu to call it a Cheesesteak)

Cheese: (Provolone or White American Cheese) some people get Mozzarella, muenster, Jack or even Cheese Whiz but these are generally eschewed by true Philadelphians unless part of a specific adaptation such as The Pizza Steak.

Fried Onions: they are optional although sometimes automatically added and fried into the meat until soft and semi transparent. I believe the culinary term is "Carmelized"

Comment

A Philly CS does not become any less authentic w/o cheese whiz...

Yes it does . It is generally accepted that an authentic Philly Cheese Steak has Cheese Wiz on it. Just because they use new stuff now, doesn't mean the authentic version has changed. Just because New York and Chicago make better pizza, doesn't mean the authentic Italian pizza (very, very thin crust, little sauce and cheese) isn't authentic anymore.

Comment

I like my cheese steaks with onions, peppers, great cheese, great meat, etc.

When they all come together, just right, it's a delightful sandwhich.
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

Feephi knows too much

and david... larry bird was the center for the celtics back in the 80's and had a big rivalry with magic.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Best outside-shooting center in history!

KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

larry bird was the center for the celtics back in the 80's

Center?! Has someone never heard of Robert Parish? And I don't even really care about basketball.

Drake:

Comment

i was born in 85 remember... this is all before my time... i got to say though that i can understand how yall feel. 12 year olds these days deny Jordan. thats just blasphemy for people my age.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X