X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between men and women: It's all in the brain

Difference between men and women: It's all in the brain

Male-Female Brain Differences

Cell numbers -- men have 4% more brain cells than women, and about 100 grams more of brain tissue. Many women have asked me why men need more brain tissue in order to get the same things done.

Cellular connections - even though a man seems to have more brain cells, it is reported that women have more dendritic connections between brain cells.

Corpus collosum size - it is reported that a woman's brain has a larger corpus collusum, which means women can transfer data between the right and left hemisphere faster than men. Men tend to be more left brained, while women have greater access to both sides.

Language - for men, language is most often just in the dominant hemisphere (usually the left side), but a larger number of women seem to be able to use both sides for language. This gives them a distinct advantage. If a woman has a stroke in the left front side of the brain, she may still retain some language from the right front side. Men who have the same left sided damage are less likely to recover as fully.

Limbic size -- bonding/nesting instincts - current research has demonstrated that females, on average, have a larger deep limbic system than males. This gives females several advantages and disadvantages. Due to the larger deep limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings, they are generally better able to express their feelings than men. They have an increased ability to bond and be connected to others (which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on earth where men are primary caretakers for children). Females have a more acute sense of smell, which is likely to have developed from an evolutionary need for the mother to recognize her young. Having a larger deep limbic system leaves a female somewhat more susceptible to depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes such as the onset of puberty, before menses, after the birth of a child and at menopause. Women attempt suicide three times more than men. Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women, in part, because they use more violent means of killing themselves (women tend to use overdoses with pills while men tend to either shoot or hang themselves) and men are generally less connected to others than are women. Disconnection from others increases the risk of completed suicides.

So it seems that we have an answer as to why men are more likely to take it easy and stress a lot less than women in general. It is also said that women have 15% more blood flow in their brains.

Maybe that's why my gf freaks out for nothing. Her brain connections are to fast for mine.

Discuss.

Spec.
    Last edited by Spec; November 7, 2003, 12:44.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

well, it also explains why women really rule the world.

.....coming, dear! yes, dear, i know...
    B♭3

Comment

"Difference between men and women: It's all in the brain "

...and certain points south.
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I've heard this for quite a while.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Due to the larger deep limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings, they are generally better able to express their feelings than men. They have an increased ability to bond and be connected to others (which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on earth where men are primary caretakers for children). Females have a more acute sense of smell, which is likely to have developed from an evolutionary need for the mother to recognize her young. Having a larger deep limbic system leaves a female somewhat more susceptible to depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes such as the onset of puberty, before menses, after the birth of a child and at menopause. Women attempt suicide three times more than men. Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women, in part, because they use more violent means of killing themselves (women tend to use overdoses with pills while men tend to either shoot or hang themselves) and men are generally less connected to others than are women. Disconnection from others increases the risk of completed suicides.

Why do I get the feeling that whoever did the research had forgotten about this until the day before the deadline.
          I think he just asked a couple of questions to his wife, read a few womens magazines and put a paper together with things that are more or less common knowledge, right.?!
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I wonder, if brain was the determinant factor of the dominance of the human race over the rest living things on earth why women didn't dominate over male for the past one hundred thousand years?

As for the slightly heavier male brain I suspect the following:
            Since a percentage of the cortex represents parts of the body and as males tend to have more advanced mascular and kinetic system it looks like more tissue would be needed for the representation. Hands occupy a great percentage on that representation and if I'm not mistaken men know how to work thier hands much better than women can

Comment

Actually, hands occupy a very large area of the brain for both men and women.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's true. All areas are more or less about the same in both genders but it appears that very slight differences occur. Perhaps the hand representation occupies a bit more space in men but that is what I just came up after I read this thread. I could be entirely wrong

Comment

Utter pseudoscientific bollocks, it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the real "difference" is based on power and position in society, not genetics.

And no I don't wish to discuss it, polytubby ****ers.
                  Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                  Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                    Utter pseudoscientific bollocks, it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the real "difference" is based on power and position in society, not genetics.

/me laughs as Buck storms all upset out of the room.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the real "difference" is based on power and position in society, not genetics.
                      I totally disagree with that statement... Still, if it were owed to society could it not be so that society can have a physical/genetic effect on people, a kind of evolution owed to society? Crack babies, radiation/mutations, etc... occur because of society, a by-product of group living. Depression is shown to be genetic and that can definitly be cause by social issues...

we love you too Buck
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the real "difference" is based on power and position in society, not genetics.

buck's right, you know. women always are.
                        B♭3

Comment

er, women are always right. damn thing submitted the reply too early.

women are always right, and they always control those they have charmed.

this is when you pull out the wizard hat of +9 sex0ring and the massive wand of relational conjugation +6.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            er, women are always right. damn thing submitted the reply too early.
                            Suuure. That's why there's a period after 'are'?

women are always right, and they always control those they have charmed.
                            This is where Q cubed has someone hovering over his shoulder...

this is when you pull out the wizard hat of +9 sex0ring and the massive wand of relational conjugation +6.
                            And now she's wandered off, satisfied by his cowtowing to her authority.

btw, Spec, I don't know if you inserted that comment, "which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on earth where men are primary caretakers for children", but it's a false statement. There have been tribes in New Guinea where men were the primary caregivers.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed

I will have to disappoint you on this.

Humans and all living things are bounded by their own matter. Perception and reaction are products of our neural system and the senses that connect us all to the real world. You want to call it genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, soul or simply body, that is what really rules us. Environment can only influence and in the lenght of time even cause changes - known as physical selection. But things like society can merely cause signifficant changes to human kind. Well a nuclear war could change lot of things actually

Comment

Working...
                              X