Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should every person on Apolyton feel extremely guilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ned - problem with that. The opposing theory in the thread (the one I posted) would also say that that is the RIGHT thing. It would also just add the qualifier that we didn't HAVE to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
      No, you aren't responsible. When someone got shot last night (I'm sure it happened, somewhere in the world) I didn't call the police. Am I responsible?
      No, you aren´t responsible for anything that happens anywhere, but if someone threatens to kill another one down on the street and you´re looking out of the window to watch the show instead calling the police you´re partly responsible IMO (not as guilty as the murderer of course). Or if you see some victims of a car accident on the street but don´t stop to help them etc....
      Blah

Comment

I give some of my income to charity.

That said, a lot of the suffering in this world is brought about by people who want to be able to do whatever the hell they want without having to be responsible about it.

Freedom without responsibility is anarchy.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

You are responsible for your actions. You are punished for doing something WRONG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
            John C. McLeod, what if I could demonstrate to you that we could permanently help the poor in the Third World by improving their governments against their will and if necessary by overthrowing them? Would this justify such a foreign-policy?
            I would, if it made sense, worldwide. ( i.e. the situation worldwide would turn to the better)
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
              No, you aren´t responsible for anything that happens anywhere, but if someone threatens to kill another one down on the street and you´re looking out of the window to watch the show instead calling the police you´re partly responsible IMO (not as guilty as the murderer of course). Or if you see some victims of a car accident on the street but don´t stop to help them etc....
              I'm NOT responsible. My action IN NO WAY caused the person's death. I merely DIDN'T SAVE HIS LIFE. If my inaction caused his death, than my inaction when I'm not there also caused his death.

Comment

Define wrong. Ah, yes, not so easy is it? One man's wrong is another man's right and so on. One culture's wrong is another culture's right. One religion's wrong is another religion's right. One nation's wrong is another nation's right. The list goes on and on.

With that in mind, I have a simple motto: Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I DID define wrong. See my first post (maybe my second).

WRONG is committing an act that harms another person (or their property).

Comment

To the original question: No.

I don't (and shouldn't) feel guilty for not going out of my way to help someone less fortunate. If I do so, hey, good for me. But I shouldn't feel guilty for not doing so.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                      Define wrong. Ah, yes, not so easy is it? One man's wrong is another man's right and so on. One culture's wrong is another culture's right. One religion's wrong is another religion's right. One nation's wrong is another nation's right. The list goes on and on.

With that in mind, I have a simple motto: Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.

Gatekeeper
                      Ah, yes, I COMPLETELY agree that you SHOULD help the person, but I do not agree that you MUST.

Otherwise, you end up with, again, the Inquisition.

Comment

"You are responsible for your actions. You are punished for doing something WRONG"

Well, I don´t know how it is in the USA, but if you see a car accident on the street where you drive/walk, but don´t help and the police gets it you can be punished here in Germany. Not sure what the max. punishment is in such cases.

So in-action can bring you in trouble too.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker

I'm NOT responsible. My action IN NO WAY caused the person's death. I merely DIDN'T SAVE HIS LIFE. If my inaction caused his death, than my inaction when I'm not there also caused his death.
                          But you made the choice to not help him. Making a choice is active and I say you acted wrong.
                          The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Yes, but it that law is WRONG. It is WRONG to punish someone for not doing something RIGHT.

Again, otherwise the logical conclusion is a totalitarian state in which everyone is required to be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                              Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.
                              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

But you made the choice to not help him. Making a choice is active and I say you acted wrong.

Nope; I didn't act RIGHT. Otherwise, show how me not helping him CAUSED his death. I am only responsible for what I CAUSE, not what I don't prevent.

Comment

Working...
                                X