Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slew of OS X vulnerabilities found, Apple says to fix you must buy Panther for $129..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never paid for an operating system, other than buying the computer

Once, when I was eight, I tried to upgrade my 95 computer to 98. That experience left me horribly scarred for life

Comment

$130 isn't that much money. The security holes are vague at best, anyway. They certainly haven't affected anyone yet. How do you know Apple isn't planning to release a patch anyway? Just because their PR guy had no comment? Come on.

The whole idea of free patches is hokey, you know. If there's no money involved then there's no motivation involved. I'd rather plunk the big bucks and know I'm getting a (stylish,) secure product.

You're missing the big picture anyway. Microsoft has the most insecure products I've ever seen, despite their patches. Explorer can infect your whole computer just because you go to certain websites (source: http://www.siena.edu/antivirus/viruses/realphx.htm).

On the other hand, if there's $130 involved per user if they find a fix to all these massive glitches, maybe an updated, stable OS would be on the horizon.

Asher, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

So if GM sells a car that lets a Ukrainian get your credit card information, should they charge you to fix it?
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I love you Wiglaf.

Between you, Agathon, and Mr Nice Guy/Cloud9 -- you guys are certainly helping to establish a new stereotype to replace the current Mac stereotype of starving artists.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"you guys are certainly helping to establish a new stereotype to replace the current Mac stereotype of starving artists."

And I'm helping to reinforce the old stereotype of the starving artist! I am so HUNGRY right now!!!
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Apple doesn't provide technical details like MS does, they shove everything under the rug and label patches as "Security Enhancements" and they get to count them as one of the "150 new features in Panther!!!"
              At least Apple fixs theirs, while MS tries to sweep everything under the rug. That's why you see the technical details, because impatient third party researchers discloses them in an effort to force MS to do something.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                At least Apple fixs theirs
                Hello UR, welcome to this thread.

Incase you haven't noticed, the entire point is they're not fixing them.

Have a nice day ,

while MS tries to sweep everything under the rug. That's why you see the technical details, because impatient third party researchers discloses them in an effort to force MS to do something.
                MS does fix them, the vast majority of them are fixed and the discoverers cited in a MS TechNet bulliten with a detailed description and link to a free ( ) patch.

There's no need for "dirty underhanded tactics" like this, UR.

Especially when they're absurd claims like MS doesn't fix things until a third party "researcher" (which, more often than not, are *nix twerps out to grind an axe) reveals them...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                  $130 isn't that much money.

Anyway.... This is....beyond words
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Of course we see more Windows bugs, its used on 95% of the home computers in the world with 10x the software, usually freeware or shareware thats poorly coded. If the MacOS was in the same position we'd suddenly see huge gaping holes in its security that it would need to fix as much as Microsoft. The fact is, hardly anyone bothers writing Mac viruses, so why bother looking for security flaws?
                    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I suppose Steve Jobs has given up the idea of increasing his marketshare?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

no, see, because you have to pay for these apple updates, they're that much better than the free microsoft ones.

i mean, we all know how much free stuff can suck. look at lindows.

shrewd move.
                        B♭3

Comment

You don't pay for just the update, though - you get the whole new revamped OS. Also, iirc, this OS is supposed to make more efficient use of the new G5 chip, so it is quite an important OS.
                          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Kinda reminds me how people with Windows 5.0 had to pay $100 to upgrade to Windows 5.1, aka, Win2K and WinXP respectively.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

see! that's why they're better than those microsoft updates.

you get what you pay for! just imagine how much money bill--er, how much better windows would be if you had to pay for service packs!
                              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                                Kinda reminds me how people with Windows 5.0 had to pay $100 to upgrade to Windows 5.1, aka, Win2K and WinXP respectively.
                                Huh? They didn't have to upgrade.

Windows 2000 is still supported and will still be supported for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X