The Future Is Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skywalker
    Except that now, these people can be employed making entirely NEW things, like these machines
    That is until they develop machines that will make these machines.

Then how about machines to make the machines that make these machines?

And for people to stay up the top of this, they will continually need retraining, which will of course take over much of their time either at work where they need to be to get paid and keep things running until the new systems are in place, or in their own time, which could make things much more stressful. Balancing 8+ hours of work, 3 hours of training as well as friend and family commitments while getting in enough hours of sleep each day will be extremely difficult.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

They're testing one of those things in London I seem to recall. Except I think the British version also serves alcohol.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Cool as hell!

Jon Miller
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The whole idea behind this kind of innovation is to make two tests in the best places in the world, which would show that the machine pays for itself in one year or less, then to sell master franchises to guys who will sell franchises to guy who will sell the machine to people expecting a big return without to much effort.
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Those machines already exist. They're called humans.

[/cynicism]

Too late, dammit, and I had the same wording too..
            -
            More humans then.

Everyone pair up!

[insert cheap homofobic comment]

j/k
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
              "People are still needed to make these machines"

Baloney. They'll be made in mexico.
              And Mexicans aren't people?

Racist, american-centric commie.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

[/quote]People are still needed to make these machines"

Baloney. They'll be made in mexico.[quote]

Naw, it probably some Hindu making these to get back at his brother who opened up a 7-11 right across from his Circle-K...

I'm going to hell
                Monkey!!!

Comment

These are probably made in Japan, not Mexico (yet). They've already been around for a long time in Japan, as I understand.

As long as they are well-stocked, I think it's a great idea. Wish they would put a couple in my neighborhood. Adams Morgan is too far away.

The local CVS is 24 hours, but they don't seem to stock anything well.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm not sure i'll be getting food from it, but movie rentals will be great.

I'm still on my parent's Blockbuster account, and they *always* turn their movies late and have 20-30 bucks in late fees on the account when I try to rent stuff. Screw that. I tried to get my own account, but Blockbuster is so anal about that. I can't get a Blockbuster account unless I have a driver's license with my current address on it, and like 2 other forms of identification.

With this new gizmo, i just swipe my debit card, and it spits a DVD out at me. Quite nice, no hassle.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I can't get a Blockbuster account unless I have a driver's license with my current address on it, and like 2 other forms of identification.

Don't you hold a passport? OK, I reckon fewer Americans than Europeans would. That ought to be the most reliable form of identification, or so I'd believe.

Comment

Cool -- another type of vending machine that Americans can get fatter from.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I've got a passport, but I think that also has my old Michigan address on it. So it wouldn't work for Blockbuster.

Comment

Working...
                          X