The Future Is Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future Is Here

Wow, I saw the coolest thing today. The future is truly here.

Its this vending machine the size of a small bus that can spit out all sorts of cool things. I just got a free DVD rental from it as part of a promotional deal.

Its all paperless too, I don't think it takes cash, just cards. A swipe of a card and a few touches to the video screen and the big machine spits out my DVD. So freaken cool. I'm still in awe of it.

In addition to a huge list of movies its got, it has all manner of convenience store stuff. Pop, snacks, toiletries. I was tempted to buy something just to see how the whole conveyor belt gizmo works, but I guess I'll try it out when I return the DVD. I got The Hulk btw.

This is so freaken cool. Totally automated, totally unmanned. Very quick, efficient, and easy.

The future is here.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

More american jobs down the drain.
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

Naw, its just different jobs.

People are still needed to make these machines and stock these machines and fix these machines.

And if these machines lead to less time spent standing in line at long convenience stores it'll increase productivity and create jobs. Plus increased sales of this merchandise will increase sales at the manufacturers of the products sold in these machines.

Trust the invisable hand, pinko.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Was this the one one 18th Street Adams Morgan?
        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Naw, this one was across from the White Flint metro stop on the Red Line. But yea, I think I heard about the one in Adams Morgan. Never really thought about it much, but when I ran to Kinkos tonight I spotted this big thing and I was very much intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
            More american jobs down the drain.
            Except that now, these people can be employed making entirely NEW things, like these machines

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
              Was this the one one 18th Street Adams Morgan?
              I saw that last weekend. Weird ...
              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

that nis cool

UJon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"People are still needed to make these machines"

Baloney. They'll be made in mexico.
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

What we need is a machine to generate litter so we can hire people to pick it up.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      What we need is a machine to generate litter so we can hire people to pick it up.
                      Those machines already exist. They're called humans.

[/cynicism]
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

More humans then.

Everyone pair up!
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If only that worked... *sigh*
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The only thing that really needs a vending machine for is beer.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I saw that last weekend. Weird ...
                              this coming from a guy with HAL as his avatar.

Comment

Working...
                              X