Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Warming is happening- What should we do about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and that you are right that we will have to find ways to adapt.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

You mean if you can get the oil barons to loosen their grip on the world and give up their energy production to a more cost effective means.

If any of what you said is true, anyways.

I'm sorry, Osweld, I am sure you can find the thread I posted if you look. It references the news report on the new technology.

I assume you oppose the technological solution to global warming because it does not require a dismantling of US industry.

Right?
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

I'm sorry, Osweld, I am sure you can find the thread I posted if you look. It references the news report on the new technology.

I assume you oppose the technological solution to global warming because it does not require a dismantling of US industry.

Right?
        I didn't say I oppose it, I just have about 0 value for anything you say.

If there is a perfect solar sollution, great, but good luck telling that to the oil barons.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

I didn't say I oppose it, I just have about 0 value for anything you say.
          Ah, another example of an open-minded leftist.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Diss -
            I've read some biased articles that global warming is not happening, but really, come on. We all know what's going on.
            How do you know the articles you've used to arrive at your belief in Global Warming were not biased?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/scienc...g.ap/index.html
            From the article: "Researchers found that warming is prevalent over most of the Arctic -- some areas bucked the trend, including Greenland, where temperatures appear to be cooling by about 0.2 degrees per year."

How can that be? Greenland is the northern hemisphere's biggest ice sheet and it's getting colder?

I don't want to get into the same ole' argument about how humans aren't/are affecting climate change and global warming. We've done that to death. And I don't want to discuss the evil americans and the Kyoto protocol.
            Actually, it hasn't been done to death. When these threads have popped up in the past I posted links to graphs showing the paleo-climatogical record and those claiming global warming is man-made disappear. We're in an "interstatial" period of an "ice age", a period when ice sheets retreat and the planet warms up followed by another cooling and the ice sheets return (that should be fun ).

Basically it's already too late. global warming is in full swing. And I don't think we could do anything to stop it in the next 100 years. Though that doesn't mean we shouldn't try- but that isn't important for this thread.
            Then what's your point? Look at the paleo-climatogical record and you will see temps are actually quite stable and mild compared to just the past ~100,000 years. Temp swings over this period have gone from much warmer to all out freezes...enjoy the warmth while it lasts because humanity's problem will be staving off the ice sheets when they try to return... Of course people should have alot of fun walking out onto the continental shelf looking for shipwrecks and treasure when sea levels drop.

What will global warming do to the world? How will things be different. global warming is more than just higher sea levels. Though this would affect many low lying areas. But it also affects things like hurricanes, rainfall, droughts. etc.
            The effects will vary by region, that's about all we can say for sure. About the most drought stricken place (large area) on the planet is Antarctica, so if it warms up enough for it to rain there the ice sheet will grow faster. Temps were much higher when the dinosaurs were alive and the planet responded by increased vegetation. Apparently there's evidence from a couple billion years ago of a global "ice age" with almost all the land being covered with ice.

What I'm asking is if we can adapt to global warming. Can we counteract higher sea levels? Can we withstand more severe hurricanes, tornados, and droughts? Can we produce enough food to feed a growing population?
            We adapted to ice sheets covering much of the northern hemisphere so I don't think warmer weather will make life harder for most people and will improve life for some. Much of the world's potential bread basket lies in regions negatively affected by the cold.

Comment

The United States already produces enough food to feed the entire world more than once. The problem is getting the food out there. I'm sure we could deal with temperature changes. And the effects aren't all bad, just mostly bad.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Heat is good, think at all the old farts around the place that are stuck home!
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                  The United States already produces enough food to feed the entire world more than once. The problem is getting the food out there. I'm sure we could deal with temperature changes. And the effects aren't all bad, just mostly bad.
                  And just to add to the "worriers" concern that the US economy not be destroyed because of Bush's defiance of Kyoto, Global Warming will double US agricultural output thus enabling the US, by itself, to feed 12 billion people instead of 6 billion, thus concentrating even more power in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                    And just to add to the "worriers" concern that the US economy not be destroyed because of Bush's defiance of Kyoto, Global Warming will double US agricultural output thus enabling the US, by itself, to feed 12 billion people instead of 6 billion, thus concentrating even more power in the United States.
                    Now that frightens me. No one entity, when there are so many other entities out there, should have so much power.

But anyways... this information comes from...?
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Now that frightens me. No one entity, when there are so many other entities out there, should have so much power.

But anyways... this information comes from...?
                      The official government reports on global warming published during the Clinton presidency.

US is agriculure will increase by 100%.

This, of course, is appalling to the environmentalists who seek first to destroy US power.

Comment

Heh, wait till you see what happens north of the 49th. You would be agricultural pip squeeks.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Tell your government to train lots of engineers in preparation.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Frankly I could use some warmer weather.

Rising water doesn't hurt me when I'm so high up in elevation.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, Canada will benefit tremendously by warmer temperatures. Which is why the leftists in Canada support Kyoto.

Comment

There is no evidence sea levels keep rising throughout an interstatial. Once the ice advance ends, sea levels rise until the interstatial is established and sea levels stabilise. Temps rise but with higher temps come more evaporation, more cloud cover which reflects solar radiation, and more condensation diverting water back to the polar ice sheets.

The Earth is a self-regulating mechanism...and to use George Carlin's analogy, we are mere fleas waiting to be shaken from a dog's back...

Comment

Working...
                                X