Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Warming is happening- What should we do about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming is happening- What should we do about it?

I've read some biased articles that global warming is not happening, but really, come on. We all know what's going on.

I don't want to get into the same ole' argument about how humans aren't/are affecting climate change and global warming. We've done that to death. And I don't want to discuss the evil americans and the Kyoto protocol.

Basically it's already too late. global warming is in full swing. And I don't think we could do anything to stop it in the next 100 years. Though that doesn't mean we shouldn't try- but that isn't important for this thread.

What will global warming do to the world? How will things be different. global warming is more than just higher sea levels. Though this would affect many low lying areas. But it also affects things like hurricanes, rainfall, droughts. etc.

What I'm asking is if we can adapt to global warming. Can we counteract higher sea levels? Can we withstand more severe hurricanes, tornados, and droughts? Can we produce enough food to feed a growing population?

Hrm. This is why some people have started calling for enviromentalists to be seperated from the government. Seperation of church and state, you know.
    "Those who disagree are heretics and wrong!" Ah well, at least you haven't called for burning the heretics yet.
    Although this may be because of the amount of pollution that would cause.

Well, you know what they say about bodies. Quicklime, everytime. Or you could open a new chain of restaurants dedicated to "human recycling" (although you'd probably owe royalties to Harry Harrison for that one).

Wraith
    "If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."
    -- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

The gulf stream will get shifted around due to global warming, this means that there will be very little to prevent places like the UK from getting as cold as New Foundland (similar latitude) while most of the rest of the world gets warmer.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Diss, are you aware that people have grown grapes around London at various times in the past when the climate was warmer?

Are you aware that agricultural settlements in Greenland were made untenable by decreasing temperatures?

Do you know just how much land there is in Northern Canada and Russia that could be extremely productive with a rise in mean temperatures and a longer growing season?

Are you aware that the Earth warms up and cools off over time all on it's own?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

So you are saying there is no global warming right now?

see my link.

Comment

'global warming' is often a misleading phrase, I've heard that many ecologists are starting to use the term 'climate change' instead.
            Last edited by General Ludd; October 27, 2003, 23:26.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Invest in air conditioning.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

well it could be natural, or man made. It makes no difference.

We have to adapt. It is true we could open up more farmland for longer periods up in Canada. But we still have to deal with increased droughts and hurricanes and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Invest in air conditioning.
                  And stilted houses.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

"Global Warming is happening- What should we do about it?"

Invade Iraq.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

that's done. now what?

Comment

I already posted a solution: IIRC, a French company has discovered a new cheap plasitic solar cell that converts solar power into electricity at costs less than one can convert coal into electricity in power plants. Massive government support of this new technology, should it pan out, would be beneficial to all and help to reduce greenhouse gasses all at the same time.

This leads me to oppose, categorically, Kyoto as completely unnecessary.

Obviously, he inventors of this new technology will become filthy rich. If the commies of the world can put asside their wealth-envy just for a moment, we can get this new technology to market quickly by relying on private enterprise to produce the new solar panels on a massive basis.
                        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                          I already posted a solution: IIRC, a French company has discovered a new cheap plasitic solar cell that converts solar power into electricity at costs less than one can convert coal into electricity in power plants....

If the commies of the world can put asside their wealth-envy just for a moment, we can get this new technology to market quickly by relying on private enterprise to produce the new solar panels on a massive basis.
                          You mean if you can get the oil barons to loosen their grip on the world and give up their energy production to a more cost effective means.

If any of what you said is true, anyways.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            that's done. now what?
                            Didn't that fix everything?
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              So you are saying there is no global warming right now?

see my link.
                              No. I'm saying it is supposed to happen.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X