Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Israeli settlements exist at all ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Israeli settlements exist at all ?

I wonder.
    It is obvious the Israeli settlements will be the bone of contention between the Israelis and the Palestinians as long as they'll exist. It is obvious the Israelis will mobilize a disproportionate military force to protect these villages/towns from expectable attacks, while it is obvious the Pals will never cease to loathe said colonies for dividing their territory, taking their water reserves, and show them hated Israeli soldiers in their daily life.

Now, I'm a comprehensive guy. There are plenty of mistakes made by both sides that can be explained. As much as I think the wall is a bad idea, I can understand that the Israelis are trying anything to get more security. Ans as much as I loathe terrorism, I can understand that the Palestinians will try anything to get revenge from their humiliations.

But I really can't get the use of the colonies. Why do they exist at all? In the past, there would have been a point, i.e the wet dream of possessing Eretz Israel, but today? What is the use of these colonies at all? Why do colonies contiue to be built, legally or illegally, with only a token resistance from the Israeli government?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

In case you think it is a troll, it's not.

I have genuinely no idea of the purpose of the settlements. I really don't know why they exist at all, and why they get built even more...
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

That's a good question, and one I hadn't considered before. Why bother building the settlements?

Comment

But I really can't get the use of the colonies. Why do they exist at all? In the past, there would have been a point, i.e the wet dream of possessing Eretz Israel, but today? What is the use of these colonies at all? Why do colonies contiue to be built, legally or illegally, with only a token resistance from the Israeli government?
        They really serve no purpose nowadays. As Bush said, the Israelis are just building these settlements so that the Palestinians can occupy them in the future. Unless Israel wants to have a demographic fight on their hands which they are likely to lose, they'll have to give up the territory.

As it stands, these settlements are some of the most expensive real estate in the world in terms of how much the Israeli economy has lost to them and how much international resources (geopolitical, etc.) is put into defending them.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Point is, those settlements are the direct continuation of the first settlements. 55 years ago, the bone of contention was Tel-Aviv.

The real question is, do the palestinians still want the entire cake. If you ask my opinion of the palestinian public opinion, then I say "Yes".
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            The real question is, do the palestinians still want the entire cake. If you ask my opinion of the palestinian public opinion, then I say "Yes".
            So that justifies you wanting the entire cake as well?

Comment

No, it justifies not giving them any of the cake the Israelis now hold, because it won't stop the aggression.

Comment

Actually, I don't even think the colonies show you wanting to have the entire cake. They are too few in this regard, and the territorial continuity is insufficient between them. I mean, had you expelled all Palestinians between you border and Ariel, that would have been consisten with an agressively expansionist policy, but you didn't even do that.

Since you are having less and less interactions with Palestinians within your borders, I don't quite get why you bother not being simply defensive about them. It's not like your borders are a daily and very real humiliation to many Palestinians (unlike the colonies which prevent Pals to move, well, which take water resources, which display Israeli soldiers etc.)

Comment

Lemme see, what's the point of trying to compromise, if the other side doesn't want it? most Israelis support a very good border, allowing 95% of the west bank given to the palestinians, PLUS a road from the gaza strip to the west bank. Our only serious request is withdrawing the demand to bring the refugees and their offspring to Israel, that would destroy Israel and it's society.

We're "Paying a high price" only if we assume that this is what prevents a peace deal from forming. Is it so? I don't think so.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                    No, it justifies not giving them any of the cake the Israelis now hold, because it won't stop the aggression.
                    I am pretty sure all Palestinians now know their dream to repel the Jews back to the sea is unrealistic (even if they wish). After all, even the PLO has stopped asking for the destruction of Israel, and acknowledges the existence of the Israeli state.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      I am pretty sure all Palestinians now know their dream to repel the Jews back to the sea is unrealistic (even if they wish). After all, even the PLO has stopped asking for the destruction of Israel, and acknowledges the existence of the Israeli state.
                      Then the question that you asked and I answered doesn't apply in the first place. You asked if them wanting the entire cake justified wanting the entire cake. If the premise of your question is untrue, then of course the answer won't apply.

Comment

Well you're wrong. Though the PLO isn't asking for the destruction of Israel, it's hasn't forfeited the "RoR", and therefor, nothing has REALLY changed, i.e. They've magnanimously declared that when they take over, they'll allow us to stay. Gee, thanks!
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Whose got the cake?

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                            [q]
                            They've magnanimously declared that when they take over, they'll allow us to stay. Gee, thanks!
                            Is it?

The PLO’s position regarding the issue of borders is simple: the international borders between the states of Palestine and Israel shall be the armistice cease-fire lines in effect on June 4, 1967. Both states shall be entitled to live in peace and security within these recognized borders.
                            Doesn't look like their official position is to take over Israel to me

Comment

What about the "RoR"?
                              Guess what would happen if we add to the population of Israel some 3.5 Million Palestinians? Since birth control and family planning is only something that infidels do, in a matter of a couple of years, palestinians, and the arab citizens of Israel will become the majority, and then what?
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X