• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm creating a language!

LINK TO THE FULL GUIDE: http://www.geocities.com/civman200/inagalasi.txt

I present to you my artificial-language-in-progress Inagalasi:

Sounds of Inagalasi:
    a, b, d, e, i, k, l, n, o, p, s, t, u are essentially like the same sounds in most languages (vowels are like spanish).
    f is pronounced between the lips, like in Japanese and I think Greek ph.
    g is always a "hard" g like in "go"
    h is a glottal stop, like in ""uh oh". This sound is common in arabic.
    r is like spanish r (ere), not a trill but a single tap
    y is like in english (a shortened i)
    There are no sounds represented as c, j, m, q, v, w, x, or z.
    All syllables have the structure Consonant-vowel (CV), except that final syllables of verbs can end in a consonant (CVC).
    Stress is always on the last syllable of the root of a word. Stress is ordinarily written as an accent marks, but as I'm too lazy to find the special codes to make them I'll use capital letters (as in "inagalasI", the more proper way of writing the name of the language).

General structure of Inagalasi:
    Sentences are essentially of the form SVO (Subject Verb Object (if there is one)). ALL modifiers of verbs (positional phrases, objects, adverbs) come after the verb. All modifiers of noun phrases come after the basic noun. Almost all positional ideas (prepositions in English) and other gramatical modifiers are expressed as suffixes of the word they modify.

Nouns:
    Nouns are the simplest aspect of Inagalasi. They can have two types of affixes: "ne", which makes a noun plural, and postpositions. Postpositions generally are like prepositions, but also can express things like a noun being the direct object of a sentence.
    Example: "pigA" means pig. "pigAne" means pigs. "pigAne Ade" means "the pigs of (de) me (A)", or my pigs.
    Noun/pronoun list (not comprehensive, you can form more by "inagalasi-ifyling" English words):
    A=I
    U=you
    I=he/she/it
    garA=grape
    pigA=pig
    ferinA=much, a lot (usually used in conjunction with postposition fi to mean "very")
    inagalasI=this language
    alafabetA=alphabet
    foninA=phoneme
    lanagA=language
    fudA=food
    sakulA=school
    balaberI=blueberry
    sinI=thing
    kidA=kid
    retA=here (used with ni)
    retU=there (used with ni)
    retI=over there (used with ni)
    tunarA=tomorrow (used with fe)
    atA=question marker; more on this later
    ogorO=something extra (used with fi to mean "also")
    nitA=knight
    Postpositions/endings used on nouns (not comprehensive):
    ne=plural
    lo=direct object marker
    fi="in the manner of"; changes the noun into an adverb
    ni=in, but cannot be used idiomatically; can only refer to physical location
    de=of
    fe=location in time, used with time words
    tu=direction of action/indirect object
    ka="because of", marks the cause of something
    ti=with
    po=marks the duration of time an action takes

Dizzy yet? I've still got a lot more to say (and it'll all make more sense once I show you a lot of sample sentences)
    Last edited by civman2000; October 24, 2003, 17:36.

prefer(me, to|play|with(grammar(English)), );
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

|)3/-\7H 2 J00!!!!

Eathday otay isthay anguagelay.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Interesting.
        But since it is very close to English, you risk ending up using a pure-English vocabulary, and not bothering with proper Inagalasi words. Maybe you should try to diversify your inspiration for vocabulary.

As for the sentence structure: it's simple and clear, and I like it
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Part 2

EDIT HISTORY:
          10/23: Order of verb and modifiers in relative clauses reversed.
          10/24: Passive voice added (is)

Verbs of Inagalasi:
          This is the biggest part. True verbs always end in consonants. The roots of verbs always end in consonants (eg "sapIk" speak). Verbs are inflected by adding a ton of suffixes to them. A scary example: "nohEtusinahepil" "they will not have eaten" comes from the short simple root "Et" "eat".

Order of affixes:
          "no"(negative)-root of verb-major modes-person-"ah"(plural)-temporal modes-minor modes-tense.

Simple verb rules: If the subject is first person add "an." If 2nd person add "en" and for third person add "in". If the subject is plural add "ah" after the person. If the verb is negative (eg "I do not eat") add no (noh if the verb starts with a vowel) to the beginning (eg "nohEtan," "I do not eat"). If the verb is in an "-ing" tense add "on" and if it is in a perfect tense ("I have eaten") add "ep". After this come modes, like "ak" for "can" ("I can eat"="Etanak"). For past tense add "ed" to the end and for future add "il".

Passive Voice: Passive voice (eg "The pig is eaten by the dog") is indicated by adding "is" before the person (eg "Etisin" "it is eaten"). The agent is marked with the postposition ka (eg "pigA Etisin dogAka" "the pig is eaten by the dog")

Sample sentences:
          "I sIr-in-ed"="He thought" ("He think-3rd person-past")
          "A-ne lIk-an-ah pigA-ne-lo"="We like pigs" ("I-plural like-1st person-plural pig-plural-direct object").
          "b-an civman2000"="I am civman2000" ("be-1st civman2000"; note that the subject ("I") can be omitted)
          "nE U-de b-in atA-lo"="What is your name?" ("name you-of be-3rd what-direct object")
          "A sapIk-an-ak inagalasI-fi"="I can speak Inagalasi" ("I speak-1st-can inagalasi-in manner of"; literally "I can speak in the manner of Inagalasi")
          "A salIp-an-il tunarA-fe"="I will sleep tomorrow" ("I sleep-1st-will tomorrow-when")
          "Et-an-on"="I am eating" ("eat-1st-progressive")

Nominal forms:
          There are two ways that verbs can become nouns. First there is the infinitive form. To form the infinitive add "o" to the root of the verb ("Eto" "to eat"). The infinitive for all purposes is gramatically a noun. Note that both temporal and regular modes as well as the negative prefix ("no") can be added to the root before the infinitive ending, but nothing else can. Example: "sapIk-ak-o", "to be able to speak". The second way a verb can become a noun is by creating subordinate clauses. To do this, remove the final consonant of the fully inflected verb (eg "noh-Et-an-il" becomes "noh-Et-an-i", "that I will not eat"). These can be used as the direct object of sentences (they are usually in the subjunctive form in this case), like in "hanAt-an gIb-us-e(n)-lo fudA-lo A-tu" "I want you to give me food" ("want-1st give-subjunctive-2nd-nominalize-direct object food-direct object me-indirect object", or "I want that you give food to me" more literally).

Relative clauses:
          Relative clauses are phrases like "the food that I will eat tomorrow" or "the person that I want to kill". To express this in Inagalasi, you take the basic noun (eg "the food"), then add the nominalized form of the verb with "de" added to the end together with any modifiers of the verb (eg tomorrow). The example "the food that I will eat tomorrow" becomes "fudA Et-an-i(l)-de tunarA-fe" ("food eat-1st-will-nominalize-relative clause tomorrow-when", literally "food of that I will eat tomorrow")

Adjectives:
          Adjectives in Inagalasi are really a special form of verb. To use an adjective (eg "I am crazy") take the root of the adjective (eg "kurasI", crazy) and then add the properly inflected form of "b" or "to be" (eg "b-an" "I am"). Thus "kurasI-b-an" is "I am crazy". To use adjectives to describe a noun directly (eg "strange pigs") treat it as a relative clause (eg "pigs that are strange", "pigA-ne sataranE-b-in-a(h)-de" "pig-plural strange-be-3rd-plural-nominalize-relative clause")

Verb list:
          b=be
          Et=eat
          sIr=think
          lIk=like
          sapIk=speak
          hanAt=want
          gIb=give
          salIp=sleep
          sOp=hope
          fAb=have
          Ud=do
          parepAr=prepare
          apAr=appear to be the case
          gOh=go
          tAk=talk, say (what is said is marked with de)
          mAk=make
          lanAr=learn

Verb ending list:
          no(h)=negative
          us=subjunctive
          is=passive
          an=1st person
          en=2nd person
          in=3rd person
          ah=plural
          ak=can
          ed=past
          il=future
          o=infinitive
          on=progressive
          ep=perfect
          ar=obligative, must

Adjective list:
          sataranE=strange
          kurasI=crazy
          fanA=fun
          bayalA=violent
          nU=new
          godA=good
          badA=bad
          sikA=sick
          alA=all
          isI=easy

That's most of what I have so far; tomorrow I'll post some other minor nuances and stuff.
          Last edited by civman2000; October 24, 2003, 17:44.

Comment

Adverbs:
            Inagalasi has no true adverbs. All adverb-like things are actually postpositional phrases. One useful postposition for adverbs is fi, which loosely means "in the manner of". For example, when you say "speak language X", language X is marked with fi to mean literally "speak in the manner of language X" or "soeak language X-ly". Another common phrase with fi is "ferinAfi", which means "very". All temporal or spacial adverbs (here, there, tomorrow, today, etc) are formed by taking the noun that is translated loosely into english as teh same word (eg "tunarA" tomorrow) and adding ni, tu, or perhaps another postposition (which one depends on the precise semantics of the sentence) for spacial adverbs and fe, po, or another postposition for temporal adverbs.

Questions:
            All questions include the word atA (except sometimes in informal conversation), which roughly means "what". In general, though, it simply means that the sentence is a question and that the object in question is that which would ordinarily be marked with the same postposition as atA. Thus "atAlo" means "what" or "who" and indicates that what or who is the direct object of the sentence.

The one exception to this construction is questions of the form "Is X the case?" (eg "Do you eat pigs?" or "Are you crazy?"). These questions are formed by attaching "atAbin" to the end of the verb, which is an irregular construction that literally means "how is it?" or "is it so?".

Answering questions:
            To answer a question "Yes" you say "bin ahalAfi" (literally "It is in that way") or "bilAfi" less formally or even just "lAfi". To say no you say "nobin ahalAfi" or "nobAfi" or most informally "nOfi". Example: Typical answers to "SapIkenak-atAbin inagalasIfi?" (Can you speak Inagalasi?) might be "lAfi, sapIkanak" (Yes, I can) or "What is this gibberish??" (No, I can't).

Question words:
            atA=question marker/what/who
            atAfi=how
            atA X-nede=which X (literally "what of the X's")
            atAka=why
            atAni=where
            atAfe=when
            atAbin=question marker on verbs, "is it so?"
            bin ahalAfi/bilAfi/lAfi=yes
            nobin ahalAfi/nobAfi/nOfi=no

Subjunctive:
            If you speak a language that has a subjunctive mode, you should have little trouble with Inagalasi's subjunctive but should still read this for differences between its subjunctive and that of oterh languages. If you are not familiar with the idea of a subjunctive form, this section is very important.

The subjunctive in Inagalasi has two main uses. First, it is used to express that somethign is not being asserted or even assumed to be true, but rather that the possibility of it is being discussed. This usually is found as a subordinate clause being the direct object of a verb like "sOp" (hope) or "hanAt" (want). For example, in sentences like "nohanAtan Etusilo garAne Ade" (I don't want them to eat my grapes) the subjunctive ("us") indicates that you are not claiming that it is true that they eat your grapes and that you are only speculating about your feelings on the matter. This definition or subjunctive differs subtly from that of for example Spanish, in which even if something is assumed to be true if you are expressing your feelings on the matter it is in teh subjunctive tense.

The other main use of the subjunctive is to express commands. Commands are formed by making the main verb be subjunctive (eg "Etusen fudAnelo alAbinade" "eat-subj-you food-plural-DO all-be-3rd-plural-of" or "Eat all the food"). There are three types of commands: 2nd singular ("Etusen" "Eat" speaking to one person), 2nd plural ("Etusenah" "Eat, you all"), and 1st plural ("Etusanah" "Let's eat").

The Three Locative Classes:
            Like many other languages, Inagalasi has three different classes of locations and related concepts: "here" (close to speaker), "there" (close to listener), and "over there" (far from both). In accordance with my personal conjecture about the origin of these three types in languages, these types are represented in Inagalasi by the 1st person (A), 2nd person (U), and third person (I) pronouns respectively. These pronouns are added to various roots to create the three types. For example, "retA" means "here", "retU" is "there", and "retI" is "over there". Note that these can be used both with ni to refer to locations in space and with fe to refer to times (now, then, way back then or way in the future).

Roots with A/U/I:
            ret-=location (+ni=in space, +fe=in time)
            sat-=thing ("this/that thing", +de="this" or "that" as an adjective)
            ahal-=manner or way ("this/that way", +fi means "in this/that way" or "like this/that")

Conjunctions:
            In Inagalasi, conjunctions are attached to the beginning of the object that in English would follow them. THus "dogs and pigs" is "dogAne ogo-pigAne" and "I eat food but don't like eating" is "Etan fudAlo bata-nolIkan Etolo". Most subordinating conjunctions are expressed as postpositional phrases of the nominal form of the subordinate clause (eg "gOhaned sakulAtu hanAtaneka" "go-I-past school-to want-I-past-because" or "I went to school because I wanted to").

Conjunction list:
            ogo=and
            bata=but
            are=or

Congratulations! SapIkenak inagalasIfi retAfe!

Note: All three parts will be edited as I further develop the language. Many edits will simply be adding to the word lists and these will not be mentioned. However, if I make any major change I will post about it.
            Last edited by civman2000; October 23, 2003, 21:13.

Comment

Interesting.
              But since it is very close to English, you risk ending up using a pure-English vocabulary, and not bothering with proper Inagalasi words. Maybe you should try to diversify your inspiration for vocabulary.

As for the sentence structure: it's simple and clear, and I like it
              I knowl the language isn't really about the vocabulary, which is nearly entirely derived from english with a few changes of teh pronunciation. What's fun is taking something so like english and immersing it in a grammar so different from english.

prefer(me, to|play|with(grammar(English)), );
              Translated into Inagalasi (most of teh vocab made up on the spot): "parafAran palElolo garanAti inalisIde" ("prefer-1st play-infinitive-DO grammar-with English-of" (DO=direct object))
              Last edited by civman2000; October 23, 2003, 20:02.

Comment

If you're seriously bored, why don't you just say so??
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Eathday otay isthay anguagelay
                  In Inagalasi: "hanAtan desAlo lanagAde satAde" ("want-1st death-DO language-of thing-1st-of", literally "I want the death of this language")

Comment

If you're seriously bored, why don't you just say so??
                    I've been seriously bored for two days, I started this Monday night

Comment

woohoo!!!
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

i have more fun devising writing systems. i had one that was based off of a binary system: letters were representations of 2^6, and were written in this form:

_/___/_
                        _____
                        /

which would look like this when typed:

._.
                        __.

and so on and so forth.
                        B♭3

Comment

Ok. Now how about writing Inglasias for Dummies?
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

My reccomendation: Go outside more. Get a life.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Are you going to have your own script?

I once saw an excellent font, the letters of which were made up of fornicating couples.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X