No announcement yet.

Best Horror Film ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Sloww said first, The (Stanley Kubrick) Shining is the best. It's the only film that's actually scared me, but then, I don't watch that much horror.

I'd like to see the Ring, looks good. The Exorcist was awful IMHO. It all looked so dated, so fake and all i kept thinking was "why is this scary". Almost (but not quite) as bad as the Blair Witch Project
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Alien
      The Birds (I saw as a little kid, which is why I thought it was so scary)

Alien was scary because you didn't know what the creature was.
      Aliens was scary because you did know what the creatures were.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oh yeah Night of the Hunter.

I also like the two first Scream movies but then they're not really about the horror as such.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

The Shining movie was stupid, the miniseries was the book on film basically.

"Salem's Lot" scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid.

Same with "The Nightstalker".

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein, also was great.

In that vein, anybody remember "Saturday the 14th"?

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The Birds (I saw as a little kid, which is why I thought it was so scary)
            I forgot about that. I saw it a couple of years ago and still loved it. Very atmospheric...far scarier than a guy in a scream mask running around a uni building with a dagger.
            Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

And in hindsight another reason why I think Alien was one of the more scary movies, is that we saw the special premier with all the reviewers so NOBODY knew about the infamous stomach scene. I've never see an ENTIRE movie theather crowd jump like that. There's always a few that know what's going to happen, but not that time. When we saw it the second time you could hear people whispering, "here it comes". which really takes a lot of the fun out of it.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"The Wicker Man" is my favourite. Closely followed by "Don't look now". I like the more cerebral horror.

I was going to post those two (although in reverse order)! Now that's scary!

The scene at the beginning of Don't Look Now in which the photo turns red ... (shudder)

Alien will always remain one of my favorite horror films as well. The scariest monster flicks are usually the ones in which you seldom see the creature.
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Anything with Vincent Price.
                  Masque of The Red Death, for instance.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

"The Blair Witch Project".
                    I know you didnt say this was..but it too had its own spectrum of fear, that of realism not seen in many movies..almost a documentary setting ....GONE BAAAAAAADDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

I know you didnt say this was..but it too had its own spectrum of fear, that of realism not seen in many movies..almost a documentary setting ....GONE BAAAAAAADDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                      Actually, if they'd gotten Attenborough to narrate it, it would have been truly terrifying. Or soporific. I don't know - I think half my brain might've liked it.
                      -30-

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin

Actually, if they'd gotten Attenborough to narrate it, it would have been truly terrifying. Or soporific. I don't know - I think half my brain might've liked it.
                        The brain-dead part?

Comment

Poltergeist was damn scary when I was a little kid. And it is still pretty scary today.

I liked Candyman- though it did have that slasher movie feel to it.

Alien of course was a classic. That rates high.

The Shining was a pretty damn good film, but it really didn't scare me for some reason.

My vote for #1 goes to Alien.

Comment

Whenever I want to get the crap scared outta me, I just read the Snopes urban legends horror page in the dark, late at night.

One time my cat hopped up on my lap....scared the sh*t outta me.

The other time was when me and a bud were driving back from a game in Waco, late at night on route 6 talking about spooky Urban Legends. As I commented then, "I'm really glad we're having this conversation at midnight on a two lane highway in the middle of nowhere.".
                            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                              A few of my favorite thriller/horror movies (some more for the atmosphere than for the scares):
                              The old universal classics (Mummy, Frankenstein, Invisible Man, etc)
                              House on Haunted Hill (The William Castle version)
                              Hush, Hush, Sweet Charolette
                              The Devil Rides Out
                              Phantom of The Opera (Hammer version)
                              The Omen
                              Lady in White (probably my favorite)
                              Silence of the Lambs
                              MC Hammer as the Phantom of Opera?

If I remembered anything from the play or remembered any MC Hammer songs I'd make some humorous play on words right now, but I can't. Sorry.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Well, for one thing the phantom would be spinning instead of playing an organ......

Hammer films are some of the cheesiest but funnest to watch horror movies, but they aren't scary.

ACK!
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X