X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stop a new EU treaty?

Answer

Give the UK people a vote on it.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

This could be interesting.

ONTOH it may just be a ploy so the UK doesn't have to concede to much. If the govt get what they want- no referndum if they don't the whole thing will be put to the vote, which will be lost and the whole treaty will be scuppered
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Why would you like to stop a new EU treaty?
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Get 10 000000 people to sign a petition, curse and later assassinate all pro new constitution campainers and politicians, nuke France and Belgium, throw salt to the ruins of EU parliament, convert to islam, burn yourself, contact aliens to destroy the earth....

Nah just kidding theres no way anyone can stop it

have a nice day
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Well I didn't say I did.
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Go EU.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
            Get 10 000000 people to sign a petition, curse and later assassinate all pro new constitution campainers and politicians, nuke France and Belgium, throw salt to the ruins of EU parliament, convert to islam, burn yourself, contact aliens to destroy the earth....

Nah just kidding theres no way anyone can stop it

have a nice day
            It would stop it, because these things have to be unanimously agreed. If it is not agreed by every member no treaty.

Comment

New EU treaties have the bad habit not to be 'stopped', because the politician-in-chief of each state is the one who decides. If the politician-in-chief is against (or his population is against), he'll get some concessions on other matters as a price of his agreement.

When the people is considered too hostile, the politician-in-chief may either stall the agreement (like what the UK is doing with the Euro - but you too will put your queen's face on Euro coins eventually), or it may simply disregard the public opinion: just see how many referendums there were for the Amsterdam treaty
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Why not put it up to a vote no matter what happens? Is there something wrong with people voting or something?
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Why not put it up to a vote no matter what happens? Is there something wrong with people voting or something?
                  In the EU, yes.

There is a joke running: "if the EU applied to be a member of the EU, it would be rejected because of its lacking democracy"
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

There is a joke running: "if the EU applied to be a member of the EU, it would be rejected because of its lacking democracy"

Ha! I knew it!

Anyway, what is the solution? Strengthening the Eropean Parliament?

Comment

Yay EU
                      Boo Democracy

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Tell the americans that there are weapons of mass destruction in spain. When they conquered spain, tell em they moved em into france....
                        eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

But there are already WMD's in France, specifically nuclear weapons
                          19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

But the WMD's never were the reason for action anyway.

I suggest mining the north sea, that's where the battleground is going to be

Comment

Originally posted by el freako
                              But there are already WMD's in France, specifically nuclear weapons
                              though true, it dosn't matter much. Bush is a silly person, the WMD line shoudl work to make him get rid of eurpe.
                              eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Working...
                              X