Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak
    Time to perhaps shift the emphasis though?
    I think you're right, but here is a classic example of what I've been going on about. Do you not agree that this BBC article is portraying the England team in a very negative light? This can't be good for them surely.

Oh and Jonathan Davies has criticised Wales for their team choice calling it a surrender. Davies is a really nice bloke and talks a lot of sense - I think he has this one right.
    I agree. I'm disappointed to be honest - I'd have liked our boys to have had at least something of a challenge during the pool games. It's a bit worrying going in to face the Saffees (assuming they manage to fend of the Samoans) not having been properly tested.

Comment

• Do you not agree that this BBC article is portraying the England team in a very negative light? This can't be good for them surely.
      I agree with you on both counts. I thought we had largely been talking about how the press out there bigs them up ridiculously but this illustrates the dark flipside of English reporting very well (build them up, cast them down – at the same time!).

I actually think it is poor of the head coach to publicly criticise a player too to be honest but Clive seems to have brain fades like that.

The irony is, and I appreciate I am criticising a Pom BBC journo here after defending them, that I think this guy is a muppet - a lot of the criticism is flawed – the back row had a bad game against Samoa but even then the ship steadied when Moody replaced Worseley. Moody has been excellent all through – as Francois Pienaar has kept saying and I trust his opinion more than this guys. I didn’t think they had any significant dips against Georgia or the Boks. And of course Moores assumption they played badly also detracts hugely from what were very good efforts from the Boks and Samoa.

To suggest Hill is key to the Cup chances is laughable – I suspect he is a Saracens fan and clutching at straws. He isn’t even right that Woodward has no options if Dally ducks out – both Corry and Worsley are number 8’s and the former is a damn good player who has never let England or the Lions down – I would play him over Dally most of the time myself.

It's a bit worrying going in to face the Saffees (assuming they manage to fend of the Samoans) not having been properly tested.
      It’s to Wales great shame they are doing what they are – when you play the best you should play your best as far as I am concerned.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The French second XV is far below the first indeed. The only players near the level of the titulars are in the front row, and maybe Brouzet. Merceron is still a very good player too, but the rest are not there. The best of the backs in the match were Elhorga, who couldn't seem to find the good timing to play with his partners, and Poitrenaud, who's very good in attack but not very good a tackler, which is a pity for a fullback.

As for Wales playing their second XV against NZ: Does that mean they believe their first XV has a chance of taking anyone durin ghte quarter final? Ludicrous.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Qualifying purely on residency is already at three years I believe? It will never be reduced – expect to see it rise. Much as I might be a lone voice here the issue isn’t as clear cut as the consistent SH position here might make it look.
          Actually you're not the lone voice. I agree with you. Matches between different countries are meaningless if the players aren't actually from those countries. I'd rather see an all-NZ side lose than a half NZ side win.

I have to wait till I've watched Ireland v Argentina tonight before it'll be safe to see everyone's comments on the England/Samoa game, but I am certainly looking forward reading them.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

So well done Finbar – a palpable hit!
            Mr Ackford's column reappeared this morning. Much more modest.

Oh, and Quote Of The Week from former Wallaby prop Richard Harry. An oldie but a goodie:

"Play Rugby Union and see the world. Play Rugby L***** and see Wigan."

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

he indulges far too often in that kind of triumphalist and uber-optimistic nonsense
              Oops. Forgot to say. On this basis, may we suggest that you clean up your own journalistic backyard before casting your eye over the back fences of others?
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Just found this on the Daily Telegraph's site (England's, not Sydney's):

The full transcript of the Rugby World Cup inquiry revealed that Bowden asked Reddin five times not to make the substitution. It also confirmed that Reddin was under pressure from Woodward to do just that.
                Five times? And Clive was the mastermind behind seeking to take unfair advantage? Gee, I'm starting to think Totai had a point.

Comment

• Wales has a 100% record - what are the chances it'll still have one after the NZ game?

Hi Graeme - how's tricks?
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Long live the Welsh.... but I think they are going down to the Haka
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS
                      Wales has a 100% record - what are the chances it'll still have one after the NZ game?
                      Buckley's & Nunn. That's an old Melbourne gag, MOBIUS. You probably weren't here long enough to learn either the gag or its history.

Hi Graeme - how's tricks?
                      Battling along, as always. Where are you now? Email me with what's happening on the, um, passport front?

Comment

• Scotland 22 -d- Fiji 20

Very entertaining, even if it didn't reach any great heights. Fiji didn't have much of a game plan apart from giving it to Caucau, whose two tries were as spectacular as always, and they seemed to run out of fitness in the second half. Scotland showed more purpose and aggression than I've seen from them thus far.

Comment

• South Africa 60 - 10 Samoa

The boks played a very good game. Fixed the Samoan pack and spun the ball wide, retrieved many lost samoan balls.
                          Samoans still play their flamboyant rugby, but they made far too many handling errors and forgot the players in support so they couldn't score much.
                          Samoans should probably have tried to get a lineout or two instead of playing penalties by hand in their half of the field, but then we love them that way.
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Why is it that Australians have the right to throw in line outs neither straight nor more than 5 meters and go away without suffering a scru or free kick?

Comment

• Australia 17 - 16 Ireland
                              Short victory for the Aussies, who did a good job in defense. Their scrum is really weak, and I think the referee has been a bit lenient. I'd have whistled once for Ireland instead of against on one scrum (both looseheads were doing different fouls), and I think many of the lineouts wer not straight. The Australian lineout lost many balls too.
                              Of course, Australia will trample Scotland in the QF, but I don't see them as favourites after that.
                              France - Ireland will be a tough match.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare
                                South Africa 60 - 10 Samoa

The boks played a very good game. Fixed the Samoan pack and spun the ball wide, retrieved many lost samoan balls.
                                Samoans still play their flamboyant rugby, but they made far too many handling errors and forgot the players in support so they couldn't score much.
                                Samoans should probably have tried to get a lineout or two instead of playing penalties by hand in their half of the field, but then we love them that way.
                                I thought the Boks were impressive. They're much more potent with Hogaard than Koen. They will give the All Blacks a very big fright. The poor old Samoans couldn't repeat the dose again this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X