Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by finbar

Just get me out of here!
    You know you are welcomed in Toulouse where also plays one of the best European teams.

The Japanese also play as a team whereas the Fijians tend to run solo missions.
    This is what I was trying to say when I used the word consistent... I guess "complete" would have been more appropriate.

I suspect the biggest threat to the Japanese is the Fijians' size and strength.
    I don't think so, they have demonstrated in their previous games, including against the French ( ), that they can resist the bigger players thanks to their will and energy.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

You know you are welcomed in Toulouse where also plays one of the best European teams.
      Yes, I know, but life keeps conspiring against me! I'm not going to get over there later in the year because I have this children's feature to write and Mrs finbar has a telemovie to produce! Between us, we're going to be tied up till about March! And why can't we increase the size of these s the same way we can the text!

This is what I was trying to say when I used the word consistent... I guess "complete" would have been more appropriate.
      No, "complete" wouldn't have made the point either! How about "structure"? The Japanese have it, the Fijians tend not to.

I don't think so, they have demonstrated in their previous games, including against the French ( ), that they can resist the bigger players thanks to their will and energy.
      Point taken. One danger for the Japanese is commiting so many players in the tackles. They all pile in, which can leave them vulnerable wider. Though the Fijians tend not to play with much structure, so they might not manage to take advantage.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• To match the colour of the jersey he should be wearing by your own personal set of rules?
        In a way – the green I would like to see in him would be joined by red and white.

And your chap, thanks to injury, has played how many Tests in recent times? And you base your claim on his recent form? At training? Hyperbole is the enemy of reason.
        The last four in a row – and yes I am judging on just those four – in which he has been excellent.

I'm sure Havak will be happy to confirm this.
        Finbar’s description is not too far off.

He ran right away from his support a couple of times on Saturday.
        And in so doing had me (unfairly) screaming at the big screen “get with him”. I should know better.

The worst player I have ever seen for bamboozling his support is Wasale Serevi of Fiji. I swear this guy has no idea whatsoever what he himself is going to do next – he starts at fly half in Fiji’s game with Japan I think – try to catch him. His XVs game is crippled by a total inability to tackle – it can be very amusing.

I checked. He doesn't. That's why I asked.
        Okay he last played for Wales in the loss to NZ in 2002. He is now with the CelticWarriors franchise in Wales. No record of injury.

Ah…I think I have it – although the Lions, Bridgend and Wales played him on the wing he is actually a centre by preference – and quite good there apparently – but that wasn’t what Hansen wanted from him.

Yes, it was Henderson. I hadn't realised he'd tried to kill VD. All, then, is forgiven.
        Struck his knee at full sprinting pace and nearly ended his career – but not quite. Bad Rob bad!

His does have a *cough* over robust aspect to his game at times and that did surface on the Lions tour. Albeit that we were more sinned against than sinning naturally.

OTOH, if he'd done what he did from an onside position, the talents you cite would obviously become relevant
        Did I not mention I have taken Alastair Campbell’s job over?

I watched it again last night – I’m satisfied he was onside. It truly was diabolical ball from Joost.

Yes, and only yesterday he joined the chorus asking the NZRFU to do something for the Pacific Island nations
        It’s an argument that will never go away anymore. I don’t think the NZRFU covers itself in glory on this issue? Were I them I might feel some moral responsibility for bleeding the Islands of their best talent and giving them nothing for it. Most of these Island unions are nearly bankrupt I believe?

The RFU has many many faults – but it does donate both kit and coaching to the European minnows (not cash as far as I know).

By the way the RFU does not publish its books so the figure our Kiwi friend saw in that documentary for what they had spent on Jonno’s cosmetic surgery (£75 million) was pure journalistic conjecture.

Between us, we're going to be tied up till about March!
        This could be taken out of context by unscrupulous swine!

I’m a little concerned that Jonno and Wilko seem to be insisting on playing every game – Samoa probably deserve that respect but I do hope he rests them against Uruguay – I want them fresh to face Wales (for it looks like Italy will struggle now?)
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak

In a way – the green I would like to see in him would be joined by red and white.
          M-hm. So you're down love-15. Hypocrisy.

The last four in a row – and yes I am judging on just those four – in which he has been excellent.
          M-hm. Love-30. Straw-clutching par excellence.

I watched it again last night – I’m satisfied he was onside.
          M-hm. Love-40. Self-induced myopia.

So you're down three break points. We await your next serve with interest.

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Yes, and only yesterday he joined the chorus asking the NZRFU to do something for the Pacific Island nations
            Yeah that is a bit rank really. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji are struggling, part is due to clubs not releasing their players from contracts that had first call on their services, and the other part is the IRB eligibility rules introduced in 2000, which stop players appearing for one country then another.

The grinning Samoan assistant coach said
            There has always been a close bond to New Zealand. Samoans see New Zealand as their big brother. In the past there has been give and take. Samoa didn't mind losing the Frank Bunces of the world, because we knew there was a group of 25-30 guys playing National Provincial Championship rugby. But now it is hard to see any reciprocity.
            When players like Waikato fullback Loki Crichton are sitting at home watching the WRC when they should be playing in it, his club needs a swift kick up the arse.

Comment

You are right. We should go home. I mean how could we ever hope to beat the ABs now eh?
              See?
              That wasn't so hard now was it?

'And the truth shall set ye free'

There has always been a close bond to New Zealand. Samoans see New Zealand as their big brother. In the past there has been give and take. Samoa didn't mind losing the Frank Bunces of the world, because we knew there was a group of 25-30 guys playing National Provincial Championship rugby. But now it is hard to see any reciprocity.
              It isn't much consolation I know, but its the same for many pro-sports leagues around the world. Clubs look after their players, pay their salaries and basically keep them in training. Small wonder that they often have a vested interest that often conflicts with National teams.

OTOH of course, they have a reason to cry foul when NZ players are released for AB duties while foreign players are not.

Comment

It’s an argument that will never go away anymore. I don’t think the NZRFU covers itself in glory on this issue? Were I them I might feel some moral responsibility for bleeding the Islands of their best talent and giving them nothing for it. Most of these Island unions are nearly bankrupt I believe?

The RFU has many many faults – but it does donate both kit and coaching to the European minnows (not cash as far as I know).
                I don't think world rugby covers itself in glory on the issue. The trouble is, what exactly do you do? Kit isn't the problem, but coaching would help. Bringing them into the S12 - or another version of it, giving them regular serious competition - would too. You can't bar their players from earning a good living in overseas comps, and hurling money at their Unions to fund their players to stay and play domestically won't work either.

This could be taken out of context by unscrupulous swine!
                Yes, Mr should be along soon.

I’m a little concerned that Jonno and Wilko seem to be insisting on playing every game – Samoa probably deserve that respect but I do hope he rests them against Uruguay – I want them fresh to face Wales (for it looks like Italy will struggle now?)
                Scared a Samoan prop might fall on Wilko? I would be.

Frankly, Italy and Wales have been as bad as each other. Neither deserves to go through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andydog
                  When players like Waikato fullback Loki Crichton are sitting at home watching the WRC when they should be playing in it, his club needs a swift kick up the arse.
                  Yes indeed. That's something the IRB can do something about. Or could, if they had the guts. The Australian s***** team faces the same problem having its players released from their foreign club duties. At least the international s***** body - whatever it's called - has some rules in place about player release for internationals.

Comment

That's something the IRB can do something about. Or could, if they had the guts.
                    For some reason I was under the impression that the IRB did take a firm stance on this and was to take action over the unions that did not comply, obviously they didn't have the guts.

Just attaching a newspaper clipping of what it feels like to be a saffa at the moment.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, Mr should be along soon.
                      :disdain:

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Mickeyj
                        Just attaching a newspaper clipping of what it feels like to be a saffa at the moment.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

• Halftime score:

Fiji 16
                          Japan 13

The Fijians punished a couple of early Japanese mistakes with two tries, but the Japanese were starting to control the match towards the end of the half, with the Fijians making wholesale handling errors. Typically, the Japanese have come up with a brand new set of tactics - their scrum is shoving the Fijians around, they're passing the ball back inside and hitting it up, and they've even mounted several very successful rolling mauls. Two tries to one, and Miller potted a quite spectacular drop goal from 51m.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mickeyj

For some reason I was under the impression that the IRB did take a firm stance on this and was to take action over the unions that did not comply, obviously they didn't have the guts.
                            Well, as always, the real problem lies in England. Because the players in England are contracted to the clubs, not the RFU, and the RFU has absolutely no control over the English clubs, so what hope has the IRB got?

Comment

Halftime score:

Fiji 16
                              Japan 13
                              Definitly going for the japenese on this one, it'll be good to see them get a RWC win.

Comment

• You can't bar their players from earning a good living in overseas comps
                                This is of course true. What you can do though is tighten up the eligibility regulations (even further) and make it impossible for them to represent a nation other than their own. Needs to be tried I feel.

and hurling money at their Unions to fund their players to stay and play domestically won't work either.
                                I would have to agree.

Of course I take the contrary view to Andydog there – I feel they should only be able to play for their own country full stop – I suspect he wants the 2000 changes reversed so they can be All Blacks then Islanders again?

The issue of young lads taking work in NPC or S12 is fine – it should not be allowed to change their nationality though. Time to think about Seven year residency again. Any body who really wants to be an All Black will tough it out.

The Canadian coach was rattling on the other day about getting the pacific cup going again – and you know this has to be the way forward surely?

Scared a Samoan prop might fall on Wilko? I would be.

Frankly, Italy and Wales have been as bad as each other. Neither deserves to go through.
                                Heck yes I am scared – those Samoan boys are very physical.

You don’t fancy Wales to upset the ABs then?

'And the truth shall set ye free'

Confident for the Boks game are we?

At least the international s***** body - whatever it's called - has some rules in place about player release for internationals.
                                Excellent point – it is up to the IRB to sort their act out on this. Unfortunately they seem to shy away form important decisions.

Now you know how the Taffs feel all the time.
                                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X