Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the significance, the importance, and the use of Descartes' Meditations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    What was the first?
    Plato's cave.

Peano's "axiomization" is the third and final (so far).

And the Matrix is much closer to Plato's cave or a Gettier scenario than it is to Descartes.
    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

...More of Asher's intellectual journey as he continues to plot his 6 year path to his MSCIE certification...

( )

Comment

The term is MSCE.

But no thanks, I'm aiming for the MSc route.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Oh yeah, do you hear Agathon coming?
          Blah

Comment

quote:
            (...) but rather some malicious demon of the utmost power and cunning has employed all his energies in order to deceive me.:
            And here he clearly speaks about MS....
            Blah

Comment

If I'm thinking of the right thing, the significance is in epistemology and the possibility of having proven knowledge of anything. You can doubt you have a body because maybe you're in the Matrix, or some demon is deceiving you into thinking that you have a body, or you're a spiritual being hallucinating you have a body, or any of a number of things. It's not very likely, but it's possible. You can doubt pretty much anything on the same grounds, so at this point Descartes has proven that none of these things are a legitimate base on which to found a worldview. But what Descartes can't doubt is that he exists, since his doubting is a thought and thought implies existence (at least according to him). Therefore, he uses the statement "I think therefore I am" as a basic axiom, and fudges around a bit to prove everything else in light of that single statement. The significance is that it's one of the first attempts to find an undoubtable statement and to found philosophy on geometry-style self-evident postulates.
              Or something. Agathon can proly explain it better.
              "Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to hear me tell you how wrong you are."

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar

Plato's cave.

Peano's "axiomization" is the third and final (so far).

And the Matrix is much closer to Plato's cave or a Gettier scenario than it is to Descartes.
                What's wrong with the Peano axioms?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Anyhow, you can't prove anything from Descarte's axiom. No matter how hard he tries.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    Anyhow, you can't prove anything from Descarte's axiom. No matter how hard he tries.
                    And thus you have proved your own quote. Given Descartes' axiom, you cannot prove anything.
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

This is akin to writing a paper explaining it is impossible for a man to jump from Earth to Pluto merely on his own abilities, then being proclaimed a genius and having people studying your paper for hundreds of years after your death.

Profound.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Just as it's like saying it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light?

I admit, much of Decartes' Meditations could have been thought up by many people today. In the 17th Century, it was pretty new, however (IIRC).
                        Smile
                        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Working...
                        X