Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the significance, the importance, and the use of Descartes' Meditations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the significance, the importance, and the use of Descartes' Meditations?

Specificially Meditations 1 and 2.

I've read them several times now and have felt no more educated or enlightened after doing so, in fact I dare say I feel more stupid for doing so.

Some of it is just downright funny...
    Suppose then that I am dreaming, and that these particulars -- that my eyes are open, that I am moving my head and stretching out my hands -- are not true. Perhaps, indeed, I do not even have such hands or such a body at all.
    I will suppose therefore that not God, who is supremely good and the source of truth, but rather some malicious demon of the utmost power and cunning has employed all his energies in order to deceive me.
    So the philosophers of Apolyton, I implore you to discuss why these readings are not a gross waste of time.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Because I said so.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I have a critical essay on the first two meditations due friday, so I did the readings tonight and the essay will be tomorrow.

Will probably be one of the easiest paper I'll ever have to write. God bless Philosophy.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You think it's easy, and then it bites you on the ass.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Or, maybe it is easy, and you have simply contrived to bite yourself on the ass.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

I thought my history essays in my freshman year would be easy, and I got As on all of them, too.

Dealing with trite crap like Descartes is loads easier than doing a paper dealing with asymptotic growths and recurrence relations.

Comment

Or, maybe it is all too easy and nobody has any ass at all.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Phenomenology?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

quote:
                  Suppose then that I am dreaming, and that these particulars -- that my eyes are open, that I am moving my head and stretching out my hands -- are not true. Perhaps, indeed, I do not even have such hands or such a body at all.

quote:
                  I will suppose therefore that not God, who is supremely good and the source of truth, but rather some malicious demon of the utmost power and cunning has employed all his energies in order to deceive me.

How very 'matrix'
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

He seemed a lot more brilliant and relevant in the 1600s than today.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Apparently.

Comment

It still an interesting thought, no? The brain in a jar tech blurb from SMAC was along similar lines. How do you know your senses arent being deceived?
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Descartes Meditatons are the second great mistake of (western) philosophy ...
                          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                          - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

What was the first?

Comment

actually, the matrix is based heavily on the meditations of descartes. The matrix serves as the "evil demon"
                              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Working...
                              X