No announcement yet.

U.S. Convoy Bombed In Gaza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the terrorist attack, Hamas and Islamic Jihad have both denied responsiblity. Is it possible they didn't have anything to do with the attack? Maybe the attack was done by Al Queda or the groups in Iraq wanting to escalate the violence beyond Iraq and distract the US from Iraq?
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I know! It was Israel!
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

Yeah, but that before George "bring it on" Bush was President!
        Yes he's certainly "brought it on"

The US is going out backwards in the Middle East and most of you don't even seem to realise it.

Its something quite similar to what happened to the Brits in the Suez crisis - they could occupy the ground with troops but in the end lost all their influence in the region and were forced into a humilating withdrawal.

I had a premonition about this attack - those convoys always looked like a juicy target to me. Looks like someone agreed.

According to news reports this is the first attack on a U.S. target in 3 years. Someone is trying to send the U.S. a message. Or maybe it just doesn't matter anymore.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

From ABC News:

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. The attack was condemned by Palestinian officials who said those killed were members of a U.S. monitoring team sent to the region to supervise implementation of a U.S.-backed peace plan.

Wednesday's attack could deal a major blow to Palestinian efforts to bring more international monitors to the region.

Palestinian militants have attacked Israeli army and settler convoys in Gaza repeatedly in the past three years of fighting, both with bombs and gunfire. Islamic militants, responsible for the bulk of the attacks, have said in the past they have no interest in "exporting" the conflict by taking aim at non-Israeli targets.
          Nothing to see, folks...keep moving...
          "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.
            Wow! What an original thought!!! At least we can count on you not to give us cliches!!

I seem to recall the founding fathers of the United States were called terrorists.
            Most unlikely, as the word "terrorist" originated during the French revolution, during the (surprise) reign of terror. Even then it was not used in the modern sense.

The Brits would have hanged them had they caught them.
            Yes. For treason.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

what are you doing here LoM? Noone is attacking Israel.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Yes he's certainly "brought it on"

The US is going out backwards in the Middle East and most of you don't even seem to realise it.

Its something quite similar to what happened to the Brits in the Suez crisis - they could occupy the ground with troops but in the end lost all their influence in the region and were forced into a humilating withdrawal.
                The brits were forced out not by the locals, but by financial pressure from the US. (a mistake, I agree) Nothing like that is gonna happen now,

I had a premonition about this attack - those convoys always looked like a juicy target to me. Looks like someone agreed.
                You did? Did you say so here? Were you even aware there were US monitors there? Juicy targets? For whom? Hamas? Only if Hamas thinks they can get away with it. Not very likely.

According to news reports this is the first attack on a U.S. target in 3 years. Someone is trying to send the U.S. a message. Or maybe it just doesn't matter anymore.
                Yup. Hamas is trying to send a message that they dont want the road map monitored. Cause they dont want any peace. They may also be hoping to force a crisis between the US and the Pal. Authority. Likely part of the maneuvering going on wrt to the Arafat succession.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

what are you doing here LoM? Noone is attacking Israel.
                  Whats that got to do with it?

Comment

Just thought I'd slip a cheap shot in - and why not? You always do
                    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; October 15, 2003, 09:52.

Comment

Just thought I'd slip a cheap shot in - and why not? You always do
                      What - the reference to your using a cliche? That was a (correct) reference to something you posted here on this thread, not an ad hominem. Cite for me where ive posted a cheap shot (should be easy to find, since you say i ALWAYS do)

Comment

I hope I never meet you in a bus shelter on a rainy day and try and make small talk

Comment

I hope I never meet you in a bus shelter on a rainy day and try and make small talk
                          Well at least theres something we are in complete agreement about.

Comment

As pro-Palestinian idiots would probably state, "Oh, but the poor Palestinians are forced to resort to terrorism because of the Nazi Israelis."

And so, the United States should do nothing to apprehend the bombers -- after all, they're just innocent, poor Palestinians who don't know any better.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                              Regarding the terrorist attack, Hamas and Islamic Jihad have both denied responsiblity. Is it possible they didn't have anything to do with the attack? Maybe the attack was done by Al Queda or the groups in Iraq wanting to escalate the violence beyond Iraq and distract the US from Iraq?
                              Its hard to imagine that it was done by anyone who didnt have a logistical and intel presence on the ground in Gaza. Of course that wouldnt rule out AQ. And ISTR that there is a local Baath party branch in Gaza. Dont think theyre big or have major resources though. It could be Hamas or IJ anyway, trying to scare the US out of the area, but trying to avoid the consequences for doing so. Or it could be AQ. Or it might even be Hezbollah. Of course some of these distinctions are somewhat arbitrary. Hamas and IJ have worked closely with Hezbollah, and Hezbollah has links with AQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

I take it you are old enough to remember Beirut. It worked for them then.
                                Yes, and the time elapsed between then and now is about the same as the time elapsed between VietNam and the First Gulf War -- time enough to stand the situation comfortably on its head.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X