The 2003 "Scapies"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2003 "Scapies"

"We must hang together, gentleman, or we shall most assuredly all hang separately."

Ben Franklin said that. I look around Apolyton recently, and I notice that a number of us are blaming major societal failures on groups with limited power. Some of us blame the G.O.P., others "liberals," still others the K.K.K. Still others make an empty gesture and blame "society" in general. I am of the opinion that this is frankly unacceptable.

We live in a fast-moving world. We don't have time to bicker endlessly over which special interests are secretly acting towards the downfall of human civilization. I think we all know that only one of these groups really has the influence to crush our lives under its fist like the insignificant gnats we are. We need to come to a consensus here. To that end, I'm forming the possibly annual Scapegoat Awards, depending on how quickly the mods shoot this down as a troll, which it isn't. It's more of a joke.

Global warming, the drug traffic, the continued existence of slavery, our continued inability to fly to the moon by flapping our arms-it's all somebody's fault. Make your voice heard today!
    Al-Qaeda
    9.43%
    Child Molesters
    0.00%
    Christian Coalition
    3.77%
    Communism
    9.43%
    Conservatives
    7.55%
    Corporate Fat Cats
    16.98%
    Hidden Homosexual Agenda
    1.89%
    Illegal Immigrants
    5.66%
    Illuminati
    5.66%
    Jewish Conspiracy Controlling Hollywood
    1.89%
    Ku Klux Klan
    0.00%
    Liberals
    7.55%
    Nation of Islam
    0.00%
    Nazis
    0.00%
    Planned Parenthood
    0.00%
    Reality Television
    1.89%
    Roman Catholic Church
    5.66%
    Satanism
    0.00%
    Saucer People
    1.89%
    Snuggle Bear
    3.77%
    Teamsters
    0.00%
    Other (please specify below)
    11.32%
    Banana
    5.66%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Theres no Bush-option!? What is this?
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

It´s the OTHER`S fault! Alwaaaaays!!!
      Blah

Comment

Consider him a subsection of "conservative" for the purposes of this poll. I know there's some argument over whether Dubya's truly "conservative," but we're looking for a unified sense of finger-pointing here, not an intelligent debate, so it doesn't matter.

There's a 24-option limit, so I had to narrow it down to major contenders, of which there are many. I'd like it if I could have subcategories like the Emmies-"most malevolent political power," "most dangerous minority," etc., but I'm limited by technology here.
        1011 1100

Comment

You missed the most often used and TRUE source of EVERYTHING wrong in the world.

Everything bad in human civilization can be traced back to an act of Congress...................

Comment

It's Skanky's fault, dammit!
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Oh, here comes the Fat Cat bashing.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

And here I was hoping to escape these awards.

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Come on people. Vote "Other" for Skanky! The candidate of choice. The thinking woman's scapegoat.

Join the Burns Unit. Skank along with us!

Come to the Skanky rally.
                  Bring a friend, bring your partner, but don't forget to bring something you can blame on Skanky!

Comment

What about M$?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

BLAME CANADA!
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You forgot "The Faaaaabulous Pink Mafia"
                        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

I'm afraid Canada is too implausibly weak even for a scapegoat. Any country that likes curling is intrinsically too weak to shape the flow of world events. An actual goat might be believable; they can ram things and eat cans. All Canada can do is threaten to raise the price of maple syrup and beaver fur. They went out of business as a world power with the rise of Hungry Jack and PETA.

But you're right that Microsoft should have been on there. I was trying to cover a wide range of frequent blametakers, but I think I overemphasized conservative phobias. Sorry, guys.
                          1011 1100

Comment

The mods also have a huge responsibility on the poor state of the world since they prevent consistently enlightened people to express long awaited brilliant solutions.
                            Statistical anomaly.
                            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

This is a retarded question.
                              All isn't because of one.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X