No announcement yet.

PS2 to drop to $99?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you connect to Xbox Live with a modded Xbox, you're permanently banned from the service.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"And up above, aliens hover...making home movies, for the folks back home..."
      OT: that's just freaky. That song is playing just as I read that part of your sig, Asher

Didn't know you were a radiohead fan
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

If you connect to Xbox Live with a modded Xbox, you're permanently banned from the service
        They're begging people NOT to buy an Xbox, again
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

If you connect to Xbox Live with a modded Xbox, you're permanently banned from the service.

Just don't connect to XBox Live then .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
            They're begging people NOT to buy an Xbox, again
            Xbox sales aren't having trouble.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              You can easily connect to Xbox live with a modded Xbox, and you won't be banned. They even had a show on Tech TV showing people how to set it up.
              "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Just think of all the other products Sony is raising the price on so they can squeeze Nintendo and Microsoft (yeah right) out of the market.

Comment

You can easily connect to Xbox live with a modded Xbox, and you won't be banned. They even had a show on Tech TV showing people how to set it up.

I'm not going to say a word, lest I be accused of ranting.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I've never heard of or seen what he's talking about, but it's certainly possible.

It's certainly not the case that I was lying, so **** yourself.

This is how it worked as far as I knew: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28180.html
                    Microsoft's campaign against Xbox mod chips has ratcheted up a notch with the launch of the Xbox Live online gaming service. According to a posting at Got Mod?, (there's a site that's going to be pretty concerned about the issue) the company is attempting to detect mod chips when users connect, then placing them on a banned list - forever.

If this really is the case then it means we're already seeing how unique hardware IDs could be used in anger by certain companies. Because it's the unique ID of the Xbox that's claimed to go onto the banned list.

The Got Mod? poster says that after persistent connectivity problems (which we hear exist for people who don't have mod chips fitted too) he called up the support line and confessed to a rep that he'd modded his Xbox. The rep seems to have been equally upfront; he said he'd been issued with an 'idiot sheet' (these exist in practically all front line support callcentres) intended to deal with questions in this area.

He explained that the mod chip is detected when you connect to Xbox Live, and that your machine's ID is then read, and added to a banned list. Even if you remove the mod chip, he said, your machine cannot be unbanned, as it's Microsoft's belief that it can never be seen as trustworthy again.

Which is actually reasonable, if you were to start from Microsoft's premise that banning mod chips is reasonable. An earlier posting at Got Mod? suggests that it's possible to run a mod chip provided it's one that can be switched off, and provided of course that you remember to switch it off before you connect. So if you're the sort of person who mods, then no doubt you'd be the sort of person who'd move to modding with a switch, if you heard that worked.

This posting also includes information that can be viewed as a cautionary tale about the evils of automatic online updates. On initial connect to Xbox Live an update is downloaded, and this includes the software that detects the mod chip. Note also that the posting claims frequent connect failures for machines that haven't been chipped as well.

It's not at this point clear whether these failures are in any way collateral damage of an anti mod chip campaign. The Microsoft rep, however, said that the company's actions weren't being taken because of piracy; the primary concern is to "sell a 'fair' service to normal people." If people use mod chips to cheat, then ordinary people will be less likely to sign up.
                    and http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/sec...0270193,00.htm
                    and http://www.infosatellite.com/news/20...2xboxlive.html

Comment

Not going to give that personal attack a response.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You just did.

Comment

I didn't respond. I was just thinking out loud.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

For the record, you probably have figured it out by now that I can't stand little sh*ts calling me a liar, or even insinuate it.

Comment

For the record, you probably know that I don't give a ****.

I also don't like people who can't spell insinuate.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And why should you give a ****?

You've got it all -- a tiny shack in an overpopulated country, an IQ well below the world average, and a job that pays a couple grand a year to teach rudimentary English to foreigners.

Comment

Working...
                                X