Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else pissed at the new movie "The Alamo"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the term for Mexican of purely European (Spanish or otherwise) extraction? The ones that say 'thervasa' (instead of cervasa) with a Castilian accent?
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Anyway the reality of the Texas revolution was that it was the tale end of a civil war fought all over Mexico between the centrists and federalists, and when all other federalist states and forces had been put down, Texas had the choice of either rolling over or going with the hertofore dismisssed radical minority (Travis was one of their leaders) that wanted independence. Sata Anna Army was comming off having done for a half a doxen other Mexican states that were opposing him, with ggreat slaughter is some of them, like Zacetecas.
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I don't know about you, but mexicans are considered white in my book.
        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
        George Orwell

Comment

Re: Anyone else pissed at the new movie "The Alamo"?

Originally posted by Vesayen
          It is portraying the Americans as the "brave innocent victims fighting against the evil mexicans!".

Which as anyone with a historical backround knows is utter bs....

Texans were illegally crossing the border in large numbers and breaking Mexican law(i.e. slave laws amoung others).

When these aggresive settlers who are telling Mexico to F off are slaughtered wholesale, how are they brave, innocent victims :?
          You obviously don't have a clue WTF you're talking about.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
            The Alamo was really about having more balls than brains and waiting 24 hours too long.
            I think both sides can agree with this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
              What is the term for Mexican of purely European (Spanish or otherwise) extraction? The ones that say 'thervasa' (instead of cervasa) with a Castilian accent?
              Goth.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Why of course! Santa Ana was Mexico's Abraham Lincoln - seeking to end slavery and suppress rebellion in the State of Texas.

It is hard to understand how we can praise the rebellion of Texas from Mexico while condemning the rebellion of the Confederacy from the United States.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

While could also be true that Santa Ana was a dictator and was taking away Texas's sovereign rights thus justifying their rebellion.

Depends on you views of whether States have any rights at all.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

States have privileges. When they violate human rights, they lose those privileges.

The slavery in Texas and the rest of the Confederacy was n times worse than the cruellest Ba'athist torture.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      I wonder how many versions of "The Alamo" have been made since the dawn of cinema? Is it possibly the most re-made picture in motion picture history?
                      IIRC versions of "The Three Musketeers" easily outshine any competition, with over 300 different productions over the years.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        And they're all Anglophilic in nature . . .

surprises, surprises.
                        I've never seen a version of the Alamo that had any opinion of the English one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Whom would they cast as a bunch of gringos in the Alamo? It probably is more expensive for them to get enough whites than it is for an American unit to get enough Chicanos. Plus American crews get to examine the actual Aamo withou that whole immigration problem.
                          Yea, god knows how impossible it is for a Mexican to find his way into the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            While this may not sound pretty, the Mexicans (at leats those in power) were not doing much to develop their vast northern provinces, whcih is why they were so eager to let whites in..let them do it for the central gov. That is probably why the whole nothern part of mexico was easy pickings, a few missionaries, very small Mexican pops and a bunch of Injuns. Though the exicans weren;t doing much to attract many cahtolic immigrants either. Imagine if all those irishmen had moved to mexico instead....

Major O'Hannigan of Mexico City....
                            Great, corrupt and drunk.

Comment

IIRC, Slavery was not the issue that caused Texans to revolt. It was States Rights. Did you know that the proximate cause was a change from a State form of government to a centrally adminstrated form. At least one other State revolted besides Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                                IIRC, Slavery was not the issue that caused Texans to revolt. It was States Rights. Did you know that the proximate cause was a change from a State form of government to a centrally adminstrated form. At least one other State revolted besides Texas.
                                Around half a dpzen did, to one extent or another, And the civil war was somewhat more complicated than just that. My memory is a bit old on the subject, but it went sothing like this. Santa Anna was origianaly elected sideing with the federalists against the cetralists. During some sort of disturbance he resigned and left his VP as the fall guy. He then led a coup against him and traahed the federalist constituion and arrogated direct control over the states to himself. Several states and groups resisted this coup and 'rebeled', Zacetecas, and Cohuila-Texas among them. After about a years civil war, all oganized resistance but Texas was put down. A federalist Mexico no longer being possible, the Texas resistance switched over to a independence war.

Comment

Working...
                                X