No announcement yet.

My God! It's full of stars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, it fine that MtG is an adopted member of La Raza, but honestly, the only Mexicans I ever see wearing a sombrero are Mariachis. Your everyday Mexican wears a baseball caps or a cowboy hat if they wear any headgear at all.

Still, why not just call it the Hat galaxy? that is what they are doing.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The shape, minus the crown.

As for Michael, he's more Mexican than Santa Anna.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Honestly, GePap. You can't see the resemblance?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          Why must a galaxy be named after a silly hat just cause the name sounds cool?
          because it looks LOOKS a Sombrero? Whether Mexicans wear them or not is another matter

Comment

These anr't just names name up by NASA, the Sombrero, the Whirlpool, the Sunflower, the Pinwheel ..c'mon MtG help me out...are all names of galaxies that go back years and years, because thats what they (sort of) look from earth

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Honestly, GePap. You can't see the resemblance?
              I haven't even looked at the picture (my computer is screwy). It's not a matter of it not looking like it, it's them using the spanish term so that they aren't just saying the Hat Galaxy.

Its like calling a car Tiburon just cause the gringo audience fails to know it is shark...

An expatriate Southern Boy can;t really be more Mexican than Santa Anna. Damn converts are always the most zealous.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                Why must a galaxy be named after a silly hat just cause the name sounds cool?
                Because the early optical images from earth based scopes reminded people of one. A la horsehead nebula, ring nebula, etc.

The "Hat" galaxy would be too generic - is it a top hat, a derby, a hard hat, (with or without American flag and "Live better / work union" stickers), a bowler, a conehead motorcycle helmet, a ten gallon hat, a Panama hat, etc.?

The proportions resemble a typical Mexican sombrero or a 19th century Tucson hat or longhunter hat. Sombrero is both shorter, and more quickly recognizeable.

Most of these names are 18th and 19th century in origin, because they don't conform to any of the now official (and utterly boring) catalog and nomenclature systems.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Silly hat?
                  WTG. Michael will go flat ****ing ape**** over that little remark.
                  Personally, I think of them as "mariquita" hats, not "silly" hats.

And yeah, other than funky movies, the only ones who where them nowadays are mariachis and some other more or less related styles of musician.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I thought you were gone.
                    Go on. Get out. Vamoose.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Are all American officers this rude?

Cooler, ten days!

Comment

Woah Mtg! At least let him out for the "BIG ANNOUCEMENT". How could we live without knowing?
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

by the way, i saw this earlier on metafilter.

i then took the image, rotated it 270 degrees, and miniaturized it.

before it was posted here.

and it's been my avatar.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                            Woah Mtg! At least let him out for the "BIG ANNOUCEMENT". How could we live without knowing?
                            Naah, I didn't throw him in the cooler. It's from that scene in The Great Escape where "Cooler King" Hilts has his first run-in with the commandant of the camp.

Comment

I think Sloww should be banned on the special day. That would be amusing.

Oh yah, and space looks cool.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

La cucaracha!

Found a new desktop for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X