Afghanistan disarmament to begin October 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan disarmament to begin October 29th

Lots of critics have been complaining about the warlords of Afghanistan and why the hell the US hasn't disarmed them yet. Well as I've said all along that would amount to opening a Pandora's Box and destabalize the whole damn place. The Russians already tried going in and blowing up everything and that didn't really work. Sometimes you have to work with people on the terms given and not try to impose your own ideal rule on top of them right away.

So now the long awaited disarmament program begins at the end of the month. And it couldn't come sooner considering two of the Northern Alliance factions decided to kill each other this week.

The fighting came as the Afghan government and the United Nations signed a deal paving the way to deploy teams of U.N. and Afghan personnel in cities across Afghanistan to start a much-delayed program to disarm militiamen loyal to warlords.

Disarming the tens of thousands of militiamen is essential if the Afghan government is to be able to build and deploy a national army to maintain security. It is also an important step if a NATO-led peacekeeping mission is to expand to regions outside Kabul.

Convincing the warlords, many of whom are also provincial governors, to agree to surrender their weapons will be a major challenge. Some of them are allegedly involved in drug trafficking and other crimes and may see little benefit in giving up the arms that keep them in power.

The first disarmament team is expected in the northern city of Kunduz on October 25. Teams are then scheduled to head for the cities of Gardez, Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul later this year.

Attempts last year to disarm the two militia groups loyal to Atta and Dostum largely failed.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Great. Now there won't be any more guns in Afghanistan.
    "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Except the M16's.

Won't work. Afghanistan needs a Saddamite type dictatorship to fix things. Use US soldiers to butcher the warlords, and their families, then provide an extremely strong power structure in their place, so no new warlords spring up.

viva Saddamism.
      Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

"I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Gun control never works.
          "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Guns don't kill people, Afghan Warlords kill people!

So... kill the warlords.

That's what Saddam did, and he was highly successful. In fact I'd say that Saddam was Iraq's greatest leader.
            Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by uh Clem
              Great. Now there won't be any more guns in Afghanistan.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Re: Afghanistan disarmament to begin October 29th

Ehh, I'm somehwat confused. First you seem to be very positive about the disarmament. But on the other hand you claim that your answer to critics that didn't think it happend soon enough you say "Well as I've said all along that would amount to opening a Pandora's Box and destabalize the whole damn place." So how would this be any different?

Comment

Bascially the Pandora's Box I am referring to is Evil Knevil's idea of the coalition using an iron fist to enforce rule on the warlords (and stabbing them in the back right after they helped us).

It's going to take alot of finesse to disarm them and this is what's going on now. Bascially going in and blowing up anybody who doesn't initially play by the rules is not only stupid but also counterproductive.

Also keep in mind these two warlords swore loyalty to Karzai's government.
                  Last edited by Ted Striker; October 11, 2003, 00:56.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

So they're sending teams to ask nicely if they wouldn't mind disarming? Where's the finesse?
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Somehow, I don't think the warlords are going to give up their regional power.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

We'll see Mister Doubting Thomas and Senor Cabron

This sh1t is going to work

My predictions on the course of Afghanistan have all been money.

As soon as the superhighway is completed it's pretty much game over for the warlords and the wannabes.

Comment

Nahhh. Warlords don't give up power, and they certainly don't give up hefty profits from gun & drug running, unless thru force. I don't see a willingness at this stage to re-commit the force needed in Afganistan to make this happen. Plus the Pakistanis don't want to see a Northern Alliance-controlled govt running a united Afganistan. Such a neighbor would have no religious ties to them (unlike the Taliban) and could potentially ally with India against them. So it's in Pakistan's interest to see this fail.
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Oh, and chingate, mariposa.

Comment

1) Force doesn't win the day in Afghanistan. Hell, if it takes bribing, then that's what it takes. The CIA literally bought half of the Northern Alliance

2) A Northern Allians backed government already runs Afghanistan. Screw what Pakistan thinks

Comment

Working...
                              X