Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell taking on iPod; consumer electronics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes sense from that perspective.

I still don't think anyone who sells music online and sells a portable media player should be labeled as immitating Apple though, since people have been doing that long before Apple. Just now that the devices have higher capactieis and more people have broadband that it's catching on.

"Immitation" goes both ways, some good ideas are implemented on both sides and those ideas tend to manifest themselves on both sides.

It certainly gets to me how some people only seem to think PCs copy Apple, when Apple is just as guilty, if not moreso.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      That makes sense from that perspective.

I still don't think anyone who sells music online and sells a portable media player should be labeled as immitating Apple though, since people have been doing that long before Apple. Just now that the devices have higher capactieis and more people have broadband that it's catching on.

"Immitation" goes both ways, some good ideas are implemented on both sides and those ideas tend to manifest themselves on both sides.

It certainly gets to me how some people only seem to think PCs copy Apple, when Apple is just as guilty, if not moreso.
      =D see now ur just inviting ppl to say "apple copied pcs more than pcs copied apple vice versa." u invite all this man.

but I running now, out before bomb hits.

Comment

actually, apple copied xerox and microsoft copied apple.

at least the beginning.

now that the big bang is over, things are a bit different.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          actually, apple copied xerox and microsoft copied apple.

at least the beginning.

now that the big bang is over, things are a bit different.
          asin intent w/ my previous post there is an important differentiation in the world of corporate copycats.

apple copied xerox who didnt make a dime. microsoft copied apple after apple made millions.

Comment

well, to be fair, xerox wasn't in it to make a dime. xerox parc was a research park. hell, they invited apple and microsoft over.
            B♭3

Comment

oh, and microsoft's claim to fame has never really been innovation. it's always been make a copy, but work at it, do it better, and then let it sit after you've crushed the enemy.

look at office. or windows. or ie.

although, one must admit that microsoft has come up with some good ideas: making the web browser and the file browser the same program, the start bar, fast user switching...
              B♭3

Comment

microsofts claim to fame is its complete and utter dominance over apple in the business side of almost anything.

bill gates>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>steve jobs at business sense and I might not have used enuff >'s. after it acquired its dominance its clame to fame has been the manipulations and contortions of its monopoly into even more insane amts of profit.

GM in the 50's and Microsoft in the 90's.

Comment

i do like some of what bill gates has done with his money, though. philanthropy == in my book.

i also don't mind microsofts products too much, either.

but you're right about who had business sense and who didn't. jobs is starting to get some good sense, though, but his forte has always been ideas, not so much execution.
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon
                    microsofts claim to fame is its complete and utter dominance over apple in the business side of almost anything.

bill gates>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>steve jobs at business sense and I might not have used enuff >'s. after it acquired its dominance its clame to fame has been the manipulations and contortions of its monopoly into even more insane amts of profit..
                    Actually it's unfair to compare Gates with Jobs. Jobs was in basically in charge of Apple until just after the Macintosh debuted in 1984. Then he was pushed out by John Sculley. Apple then suffered 13 years of mismanagement by various incompetent CEO's and was on the verge of collapse until Jobs came back.

Since then the company has been in no danger of collapse and has done some pretty good things. I think only Apple and Dell are actually making money right now.

Jobs only real failure was NeXT. He really did miss the boat on that one.

On the other hand he bought Pixar when it was nothing and ten years ago said that he wanted to overthrow Disney's dominance of animated movies. That looked like a ridiculous boast then, but it looks pretty good right now. He did the wheeling and dealing to put Pixar in the position it now enjoys.

As for copying. All computer companies copy each other to some extent. Apple can be accused of copying Cleartype, a Microsoft innovation. However, the idea behind Cleartype was itself copied from other sources - oddly enough the most cited one being Steve Wozniak, who developed sub pixel rendering for the Apple II back in 1976. One persistent rumour is that MS obtained the rights to this technology back in 1997 when it invested 150 mil in Apple. Kudos to them for finding another use for it.

On the other hand, several other people claim to have invented it, so we may never know since the topic has long since deteriorated into a pissing contest.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

hey guys, near the top and bottom of this page, there are little buttons that say "new thread." If you push it, an amazing thing will happen. a form will pop up and you can even put in a title "apple vs MS" or "jobs vs gates," But can we please try to keep this one on topic?

Anyway, dell is also coming out with a media player, organizer type thing, much like the one on media center PCs. It is also on that page that i linked to.
                      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

dell's nice, but i'm going to stick with my sonys and samsungs for most consumer goods.
                        B♭3

Comment

Dell is changing their website. We will have something much like iTunes...

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

--"dell's nice, but i'm going to stick with my sonys and samsungs for most consumer goods."

I stay away from Sony myself. They're overpriced and push proprietary solutions too much.

Of course, I'm one of the people who have no brand loyalty. Whatever's best for the buck is what I get.

Right now, I've got stuff from:
                            Panasonic
                            Samsung
                            Toshiba
                            Olympus
                            RCA

Only Sony is a PlayStation...

Wraith
                            I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Comment

voila....a new dell website as promised!!!!

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories
                              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
                                voila....a new dell website as promised!!!!

http://www.dell.com
                                Where's the music? Or is it not up yet?
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X