What's a decent cd ripping utility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    WHat's a good conversion utility, if I want to convert an MP3 from 160 or 192 to 128 bit?
    Use CDex to go from MP3 to WAV and then from WAV to MP3. Like Asher says, this is generally bad for quality.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I just leave them in WAV format. It saves a lot of trouble.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Can you spare a hard drive for a poor student?
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

128k sounds like venom's ass after mexican night. i use 192k mp3. it's only marginally more space, and sounds worlds better.
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

cdda-xtractor is a fine open source alternative, with wav/mp3/ogg support

mp3 quality differs very much depending on which encoder, encspot is a good utility to check mp3 quality
            får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Whenever I download, I TRY to get more than 128k, myself. It's rarely available, though.

Oh, and I use Nero Express. I like it.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Thanks for the help

I fixed my problem with the popping noises-I switched to my burner drive to transfer the tracks as well as switching some options around (variable bit rate, error correcting etc) using WMP9, works quite nicely.

Comment

Easy cdda extractor (the shareware thing). I use 192 kb/s oggs. I tried mp3s and wma9s at that bitrate too, you can actually hear the difference on my (nice) speakers... oggs it is!
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Cdex is great. i use it along with VBR lame.
                    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Another for CDex.

If you ever use Windows Media Player to do it, be sure to turn off the licensing "feature" before doing so. It's on by default.
                      "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                      X