Apolyton Knife Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Knife Thread

I have recently acquired a switchblade that I purchased after some haggling while out in the city . It's pretty nice, very lightweight and easy to carry. Pretty nice blade too. Should be pretty useful if i was in the city and a situation got desperate.

Anyone else here have any good knives?
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

i've got my father's Buck hunting knife.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I've got a sweet a.ss knife my friends and I refer to as "the bambi knife"

I bought it in Hungary, the handle is the hoof and leg of a small deer with a sharp curved blade and serated back edge (not sharp). Its damn cool.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I have a 38" broadsword and a 20" gladius.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My Ang Khola would be pretty effective.

The only Japanese sword I have here (did shinken when I lived there, so I had the real deal, from Seki no less) is wood, but it certainly would be lethal if I intended it to be.

I used to have a Gerber BMF, and somewhere I have a real nice double edged, black anodized Gerber boot knife, that is perfect for low light use.

I also have a stainless steel dive knife that's a good size and grip for a combat knife.

Then there the Mad Dog Frequent Flyer, but let's not talk about that one.

If things ever get real hot and heavy, I can deal it up close and personal.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I have a mini-Sawsall that can handle, well, pretty much all things. And a glass cutter.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The only Japanese sword I have here (did shinken when I lived there, so I had the real deal, from Seki no less) is wood, but it certainly would be lethal if I intended it to be.

What's shinken? I only know about kendo and iaido.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

BTW, I've always wanted a kukri, but never got around to buying one. Sweet knife.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Shinken uses real swords.

Obviously not in combat, else student turnover would be a tad high, but the training techniques are those you'd use for real combat.

Kendo was ok, but the whole pads, mask and shinai thing didn't do too much for me.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Obviously not in combat, else student turnover would be a tad high, but the training techniques are those you'd use for real combat.

So it's like iaido, only you actually train beyond the first few seconds of a fight? Cool...

Kendo was ok, but the whole pads, mask and shinai thing didn't do too much for me.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to learn kendo or judo while I'm here. Tough choice, as they both interest me.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      BTW, I've always wanted a kukri, but never got around to buying one. Sweet knife.
                      There's a lot of different styles. I like the Ang Khola best (although it takes a fair amount of strength to wield, and a fair amount more not to lose control of it ) for it's versatility - anything from a close shave, to assembly line field amputations.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

So it's like iaido, only you actually train beyond the first few seconds of a fight? Cool...

I'm trying to decide whether I want to learn kendo or judo while I'm here. Tough choice, as they both interest me.
                        Judo has more application, but depending on how long you're going to be there, and how little of a life you intend to have (there were a lot of things I was interested in studying when I was there, so socializing was at the bottom of my agenda), you might fit both in.

Comment

What's the best kukri style for everyday office use?

Judo has more application, but depending on how long you're going to be there, and how little of a life you intend to have (there were a lot of things I was interested in studying when I was there, so socializing was at the bottom of my agenda), you might fit both in.

I was thinking of joining my high school's judo or kendo club, so I can really only take one or the other. I could look into outside lessons, but not until my Japanese gets better.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I have a very nice kitchen knife. I call it Carrot Bane, no carrot has survived it yet.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                              My Ang Khola would be pretty effective.

I used to have a Gerber BMF, and somewhere I have a real nice double edged, black anodized Gerber boot knife, that is perfect for low light use.

I also have a stainless steel dive knife that's a good size and grip for a combat knife.

Then there the Mad Dog Frequent Flyer, but let's not talk about that one.

If things ever get real hot and heavy, I can deal it up close and personal.
                              Do you carry any of those knives around?
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                              X