No announcement yet.

Explain Datajack what's the big deal about processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My P4 2.40c GHz runs at 33ºC now; I've never seen an AMD run under 45ºC before.

Comment

What? No. AMD chips don't use more power than Intel chips.
      Not more power, just a larger amount of heat coming from the chip. More sinks, more fans, more trouble in the long run.

Comment

amds: they use less power, but give off more heat.

in any case, i've never had trouble with either.

buy what's best, price-performance wise.
        B♭3

Comment

Yea, take into account that you'll also need a new motherboard and a new set of RAM.
          Look for the best value for your demands and wishes.

I bought an Intel processor together with an Intel motherboard, because I wanted top quality and top compatibility. The warranty isn't bad either: three years on the motherboard is very good compared to other manufacturers.

Comment

Newer AMD chips don't run as hot as previous models (my AMD 1000 regularly went over 60 C - in winter) but my newer one doesn't go that high. 40 C currently.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
              three years on the motherboard is very good compared to other manufacturers.
              The motherboard on my old computer broke down just after the 3-year anniversary and yes, I had three years warranty too.
              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                I've never seen an AMD run under 45ºC before.
                Mine's at 41ºC currently

But it's true, I've seen AMDs run at 70ºC or more...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  Newer AMD chips don't run as hot as previous models (my AMD 1000 regularly went over 60 C - in winter) but my newer one doesn't go that high. 40 C currently.
                  Really?

Did you use any special cooling solutions to get there, because friends of mine can't seem to get their systems to run at such a low temperature (45ºC as the lowest)?

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                  The motherboard on my old computer broke down just after the 3-year anniversary and yes, I had three years warranty too.
                  Hm, that sucks. I upgrade every three years, so this was a good deal for me.

Comment

Crosspost

Can't speak for Skanky, but I don't use any kind of special cooling. Your friends must indeed be using either older models, or cheaper ones

Comment

How do I check the processor temperature?
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

It's usually in the BIOS under 'Health Status' or 'Hardware Monitor' or something similar (and at least some mobo manufacturors have software tools that work under Windows as well).

Comment

I use AIDA 32.

Comment

Working...
                          X