Peace Is Sexy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace Is Sexy

When I turned on my radio today, the guest was talking on this topic. She had been an Olympic Athelete, and now said she was applying the same ideas in working as a UN spokesperson for peace. She said every Olympian she knew got there by having a strong desire, and that her goal was to instill the desire for peace in everyone by making them realize the benefits.

I thought about all the anti-war statements I've made in my life, few of them were pro-peace. I've failed to seduce others to it.

In '89 I was working to get signatures on an Affordable Housing Petition, my co-ordinator who was #1 among 30, gave us the advice all co-ordinators gave : be aggressive. Here was a gorgeorous woman who thought aggressivity was more effective than kindness, I decided she must be right. Then the Loma Prieta quake hit, and I didn't want to push people, so I smiled alot, my numbers shot up and stayed up. I told a friend who'd been in sales 10 years, and he said of course, when you're nice to people they become agreeable. How Simple!

I'm not saying never fight a war, but as a long range strategy, because war may humanity, seducing our enemies is to peace is a very effective stategy.
    I'd rather be having sex than fighting a war
    83.33%
    Having bullets fly by my head turns me on more than sex
    16.67%
    Abstain
    0.00%

Amen! I think if Dubya had offered to give Saddam a rim-job the whole search for the WMD's could have been taken care of very quickly and without loss of life.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Difficult question

War sucks.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I don't think this thread will last long...
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Excellent in theory, impossible in practice.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Unless you work it so that you only have one nation, of course.

Comment

Oh, sure. All the USA gets along.
              All of Britain gets along.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Sloww: Not really, if we all re-evaluate our objectives, we don't need war. We only have it because some people set sights on such a target that it requires deaths. If we stick to our proverbial guns, then our real ones will keep firing.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Oh, sure. All the USA gets along.
                  All of Britain gets along.

I was thinking more along the lines of making the world into the Empire of Texas. Now I ask you, who wouldn't want to embrace that marvelous culture?

Comment

Incorrect Elijah.
                    "There will always be war, and rumors of war."
                    So it is written.
                    You can't leave out the known factor that there will always be bullies in the world.
                    No, not like the U.S.; I mean like Hussein, Bin Laden, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                      If we stick to our proverbial guns, then our real ones will keep firing.
                      Nice line. Did you get it from a t-shirt?

Comment

*Starts to raise hand, but decides not to be antagonistic and puts it down again*
                        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

I was thinking more along the lines of making the world into the Empire of Texas. Now I ask you, who wouldn't want to embrace that marvelous culture?
                          Poet, you're one of the most sensible people I know.

Comment

Comment

Well, the Taliban did need to be taken out the moment they started imposing their will on universities. If 9/11 was all it took for the US to start inadvertently helping the cause of human rights, then I say there should be more 9/11s.

/me arranges for some

/me calls Bush

Me: Bush, my good old bud.
                              Bush: Who is this?
                              Me: Listen, someone just flew three 777s into the Seattle Skyneedle.
                              Bush: Dammit, the CIA was not supposed to do that for another... err, oh my.
                              Me: The CIA? No, no, no. It was organized by the pro-female-circumcision leader from Sudan.
                              Bush: This is the last straw. We are going to invade Sudan and Iraq.
                              Me: Iraq?
                              Bush: I know that dastardly Saddam is behind this too. The South Park Movie told me so.
                              Me: Well, the world community is behind you in Sudan, but...
                              Bush: They are either with me or against me! The cowardly Iraqi attack on the Seattle thingumajig must be avenged.
                              Me: Talk to you later then, friend.
                              Bush: Yeppers.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X