No announcement yet.

Censorship in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. This is just as undemocratic and totalitarian as such obviously nondemocratic nations as...say...Germany, which still (IIRC) bans pro-Nazi statements.

I don't see much difference between the two examples - the country has an awful past they'd like to stay past, so they're trying to prevent partisans of the old regime from getting airtime.
    "Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to hear me tell you how wrong you are."

Comment

There was no sign outside the hotel that it housed NBC-thus impossible to state that anyone could have know the bunch of westeners there happened to be affiliated with this one press oranization. The conspiracy theory falls apart.

This is a silly ruling- the council hs no power to enforce it, and it only makes them look like Same old, same old to the general public. Lots of people will look at these tow channels for the same reasons people watch FOX news-nice production values and good propaganda.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        There was no sign outside the hotel that it housed NBC-thus impossible to state that anyone could have know the bunch of westeners there happened to be affiliated with this one press oranization. The conspiracy theory falls apart.

This is a silly ruling- the council hs no power to enforce it, and it only makes them look like Same old, same old to the general public. Lots of people will look at these tow channels for the same reasons people watch FOX news-nice production values and good propaganda.
        GePap, the fact that they did not have a sign seems almost irrelevant if you think about it for more than a couple of seconds.

The evidence suggests close cooperation between the Arab media and the Baathist resistance. Surely, controlling the Arab media under these circumstances does not implicate "freedom of the press" issues. After all, how many times have American reporters been accused of spying and been ejected or worse over the last thirty or forty years. More than once?

More recently, we saw how French TV worked closely with Arafat to stage the so-called killing of that little boy that sparked the current Palestinian "revolt." This would justify a ban on French TV as an enemy of Israel, wouldn't it?
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
        X