Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party News: Switzerland t lift ban on ABSINTHE !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

But the amount of thujone wouldn't increase, which is supposedly the psychoactive ingrediant.
    Correct, the amount wouldn´t change, just the proportion between Thujon and Alcohol.
    As I´ve already admitted, the total amount of Thujon in the modern Absinthe is much lower than it was 100 years ago.

Using the old Techniques of drinking Absinthe you can drink larger amounts of Absinthe (and it tastes better ) without geting drunk or even suffering from Alcohol Poisoning, but it is still difficult to get a High from the Thujone alone.
    I´ve bought a bottle of Thujon some time ago and tried it, using the old Techniques, but I don´t think there was any Effect from the Thujone. I didn´t feel any different.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

35mg/kg isn't all that bad a level. Highest it usually reaches in the most countries is around 10mg/kg (I've seen TWOmg per in Canada), but you can order some nice stuff from Spain, Portugal etc. 70mg per is floating around on the net, which will make for a small stoning!

Hmmm, and I *believe* thujone stays behind after evaporation. Alcohol, begone!

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

It was, because many of the Distillers used Industry Alcohol to get larger Profit out of the Absinthe.
        It was much cheaper than the Alcohol used normally for these Drinks, but it also had its hazardous Sideeffects, like Dementia, becoming blind and the like.
        If you were too poor to afford High Quality Absinthe (without Industry Alcohol), you were screwed if you drank too much of it.
        Industrial alcohol is methanol, which makes you blind. That's not what happened to absinthe drinkers, they developed an early dementia generally accompamied by hallucinations and delusions. Also I doubt that at that time methanol was cheaper than ethanol.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

They were drinking huge quantities of alcohol. By 35 you been drinking it for what, 20 years? After 20 years of hard core alcoholism, I'd be surprised if there weren't instances of dementia.
          Absinthe was generally served with wine though. Even alcoholics drinking impressive quantities of hard liquor usually don't develop dementia before age 50.

I think it has been so long since real absinthe was on the market that we have forgotten how damaging it really is. Is it truly necessary for humanity to repeat all of its mistakes every 2 or 3 generations?
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Yes, preferably sooner.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              Absinthe was generally served with wine though. Even alcoholics drinking impressive quantities of hard liquor usually don't develop dementia before age 50.
              A few things to consider. After the 1850s, absinthe was made with grain alcohol, not wine.

Absinthe has been legal in Spain, Portugal, and Andorra the whole time. They haven't had any problems with it. It is legal in the Czech Republic, and I haven't heard any reports of brain damage being associated with its use.

A lot of the reported dementia was with people who were already mentally unstable (Van Goegh). Around the world there was a temperance movement which made the most of any bad acts attributed to alcohol.

Also, science and doctoring weren't terribly good back then. The first major study of absinthe's supposed toxicity had a scientist putting the stuff directly on a cat's brain, not simply the thujone, but the whole drink.

Absinthe was outlawed in Switzerland after a farmer killed his family, but he only had one or two glasses of absinthe that day. He had, however, drunk a whole jug of wine. It was outlawed in France because of WWI, and the government didn't want their soldiers getting plowed while off duty. Also, the wine industry was strongly pushing for it's banning, because it was cutting into wine sales.

Finally, there really hasn't been a lot of study on the effects of thujone on humans.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

A few things to consider. After the 1850s, absinthe was made with grain alcohol, not wine.

Absinthe has been legal in Spain, Portugal, and Andorra the whole time. They haven't had any problems with it. It is legal in the Czech Republic, and I haven't heard any reports of brain damage being associated with its use.

A lot of the reported dementia was with people who were already mentally unstable (Van Goegh). Around the world there was a temperance movement which made the most of any bad acts attributed to alcohol.

Also, science and doctoring weren't terribly good back then. The first major study of absinthe's supposed toxicity had a scientist putting the stuff directly on a cat's brain, not simply the thujone, but the whole drink.

Absinthe was outlawed in Switzerland after a farmer killed his family, but he only had one or two glasses of absinthe that day. He had, however, drunk a whole jug of wine. It was outlawed in France because of WWI, and the government didn't want their soldiers getting plowed while off duty. Also, the wine industry was strongly pushing for it's banning, because it was cutting into wine sales.

Finally, there really hasn't been a lot of study on the effects of thujone on humans.
                Yup, I´ve found a good Link covering the Prohibition of Absinthe especially in France (also covering the afore mentioned Industry Alcohol [I did know it from another Article in a Magazine printed on real Paper, though ] )

*Edit Added a second and third Link*
                Here a second Link, which could possibly be a litle bit biased (s the Author, a Chemist, is Manager in a Liquor Company) but it also involves interesting Informations, for example the Molecule Structure of Thujone

Third Link, specially referring to the particular Ingredients of Absinthe and their Effects 100 years ago and of modern Products, containing Absinthe:
                Last edited by Proteus_MST; September 27, 2003, 03:15.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen: I do believe we need to arrange a Swiss meet!

Can't beat Prague though
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Thujone is a natural chemical compound found in many different plants and flowers. It is especially known in many spices, herbs and essential oils.

Thujone has a similar chemical structure to Tetrahydrocannibinol (active ingredient found in marijuana or THC) and Menthol (peppermint odor found in many over-the-counter medicated creams).

Can be found in 24 direct food additives according to the FDA's PAFA database.

Dalmation sage oil and cedar leaf oil are stated as containing the highest concentration of thujone.

Already in 24 food additives...Hmmm
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...

Absinthe Liquor Store - best selection of real thujone absinthe drink, absinthe fountains, glasses, gift sets and slotted absinthe spoons since 1996.

Absinthe's controversial history and a breakdown of ingredients, with their own history, and medicinal properties. Absinthe related art and links.

Absinthe Long regarded as the elixir of choice for artists and hedonists throughout the ages, where is the line between fact vs fiction surrounding absinthe? Read the Blog The Green Fairy France’s love affair with la fee verte – or the green lady – is one of the primary reasons as to why absinthe grew … Home Read More »
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X