House Votes to Reinstate 'Do Not Call' List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
    I guess what DMA is figuring is that some consumers may say they don't want to recieve calls, but in fact can be hooked in by a persuasive telemarketer.
    It's tough to hook somebody when they hang up on you... or play loud music in your ear... or put the phone down and walk away... or string them along for 5 minutes and then tell them to go screw themselves
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What makes me laugh about the law is that political low lifes and charities can still call begging for money.

I dont give to them either without checking it out first so that rules out OVER THE PHONE. [increasedblood pressureburstsbloodvesselineye]
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I spent a brief time down in the pits of a telemarketing office. Wasting our time like that wasnt so bad.

Understandably some people took our calls really badly. The quality of life for telesales employees will be much improved when they dont have to call these people
        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
          I guess what DMA is figuring is that some consumers may say they don't want to recieve calls, but in fact can be hooked in by a persuasive telemarketer.
          BINGO!
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
            What makes me laugh about the law is that political low lifes and charities can still call begging for money.
            Because in these two cases, it is a 1st Amendment issue. Any responsible court in the land would overturn it.

In this case you'd best you one of those "market based solutions." Thee's some list you can join that charges telemarketers $500 to call you. You agree to listen to their salespitch, but they have to pay you $500 an hour for your time.

They don't get called very much.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Because in these two cases, it is a 1st Amendment issue. Any responsible court in the land would overturn it.
              Its all an issue of free speech vs the right to privacy. Now the list (and law) has been ruled unconstitutional because of the exceptions I mentioned.

*********************!
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

aren't telephone lines, by nature, private property? and if so, isn't telemarketing tresspassing?
                B♭3

Comment

like how some guys think that all a lesbian needs is a real persuasive man.
                  B♭3

Comment

Penetration of what?

EDIT: this was in response to Mings's list.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      aren't telephone lines, by nature, private property? and if so, isn't telemarketing tresspassing?
                      A court has recently ruled that spam does not constitute trespass on another person's machine (this was in a case brought by a company running its own email server for its employees).
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with people having more control over who calls them at home.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

in dark times like these, is there a hero who will take up the call of the innocent for justice?

seriously, i usually frown upon vigilantes, but in cases of spam and telemarketing, i don't think i mind too much at all.

i pay for my cell phone. i don't want some random stranger using my airtime to give me a sales pitch for something i don't want.
                          B♭3

Comment

And some charities will sell your number so other charities will start calling. But since we have an unlisted number, we don't get telemarketers calling us. What we get are loads of bulk rate mail - catalogues, brochures, etc. - and frankly this really angers me. The postal service allows these businesses to mail us all that crap at a lower rate because the rest of us pay a higher rate for a damn letter. It costs me more to send a letter across town than it does for a company on the east coast to send me a thick catalogue. Why? Because the politicians decided forcing the rest of us to subsidise these businesses would promote business. Damn social engineers!

Now, we could just throw the crap out but they paste our name and address onto their crap and we have to cut that information out of every piece of mail to protect against identity theft. And then some of these companies - credit card companies - send us "pre-approved" applications which can also be used for identity theft. The ******* arrogance of these people!

Comment

Actually, companies do not pay less in the end, because even with the lower rate, don't companies end up paying much more, because they mail out hundreds of thousands of fliers??
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X