X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Votes to Reinstate 'Do Not Call' List

1 hour, 47 minutes ago
    By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress moved quickly on Thursday to reinstate a popular "do-not-call" telemarketing list that millions had signed up for before it was blocked by a U.S court two days ago.

The House of Representatives voted 412-8 to give the Federal Trade Commission authority to run the national registry of phone numbers that telemarketers would be prohibited to call. The Senate was expected to vote on a nearly identical measure later in the afternoon.

The flurry of activity on Capitol Hill underlined the program's tremendous popularity among voters, who have placed 50 million home and mobile phone numbers on the list since it was launched this summer.

"This Congress has often been called a slow and cumbersome beast, but I think you can see how fast this Congress is prepared to move when 50 million Americans are angry," said bill sponsor Rep. Billy Tauzin in debate on the House floor.

After an Oklahoma City judge ruled late Tuesday that the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites), not the FTC, had authority to oversee the list, at least 11 lawmakers introduced bills that would give the FTC the needed authority.

Many lawmakers questioned Judge Lee West's reasoning and insisted they had given the FTC the necessary authority when they funded the program in February.

"We should probably call the bill 'This Time We Really Mean It Act' to cure any myopia in the judicial branch," Tauzin said.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said the Senate would vote on an identical bill by the end of the day.

The White House welcomed House passage of the legislation and made clear President Bush (news - web sites) stood ready to sign it. "He strongly supports what they're doing," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters.

The FTC said on Thursday the court had denied its request to allow the program to go forward while it appeals the decision.

The Direct Marketing Association, which filed the lawsuit in February, instructed its members to avoid calling those who had signed up for the list.

In debate on the House floor, lawmakers condemned both Judge West and the telemarketers who pester Americans at home with unwanted sales calls.

"Unwanted telemarketing calls are less popular than a skunk at a church picnic, and they are more persistent and obnoxious than athlete's foot," said Rep. John Dingell (news, bio, voting record), the top Democrat on the Energy and Commerce Committee and a co-sponsor of the bill.

Michigan Republican Rep. Fred Upton (news, bio, voting record) brandished West's phone number, while Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Ed Markey suggested Congress would spare him the wrath of outraged consumers by overriding his decision.

Others pointed out the judge had temporarily united a Congress that is frequently split along ideological lines.

"I want to thank the judge for making us all love each other," New York Democratic Rep. Eliot Engel (news, bio, voting record) said.

At least 38 states have do-not-call lists of their own, which will not be affected by the court's ruling.

The FTC's program would impose fines of up to $11,000 each time a telemarketer called a number on the list. It would not apply to political and charitable calls.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Congress finally did something good
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

If congress wants to help Americans that badly, why don't they just pass a bill that prohibits telemarketing

We have that in my country, and it works like a charm

Only exemption: Newspapers, and bookclubs.

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

As I understand a Federal Judge claimed the department which created the list wasn't authorized by Congress to do so. Knowing the do not call list was universally popular the politicians immediately jumped on this and passed a bill authorizing the necessary departments to create a do not call list. The house passed it today and the senate has it on its agenda for tomorrow.

BTW was it the Department of Commerce that created the Do Not Call list?
        Last edited by Dinner; September 25, 2003, 19:43.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

good

**** those stupid telemarketers and those damn cracker Oklahoma federal judges...
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Had to throw that last little remark in there, didn't you Sava?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I thought Texans hated Oklahomos?
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

why don't they just pass a bill that prohibits telemarketing

It might have had Freedom of Speech problems.

damn cracker Oklahoma federal judges

That 'cracker' judge was probably correct in his reading of the law from all I've seen .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Judges have to rule as the law reads.
                  If Congress wants to change it, they can change it.

Kind of like the cop has to bust a guy smoking a doob.

Comment

Cooler!

Comment

Just let that weenie-headed bastard Michael try to put me in the cooler.
                      I ain't taking it no more!

Comment

You'll go where you belong, Gameleague weenie.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          As I understand a Federal Judge claimed the department which created the list wasn't authorized by Congress to do so. Knowing the do not call list was universally popular the politicians immediately jumped on this and passed a bill authorizing the necessary departments to create a do not call list. The house passed it today and the senate has it on its agenda for tomorrow.

BTW was it the Department of Commerce that created the Do Not Call list?
                          Actually it was already passed unaminously today!
                          "The goal is to get it to the president's desk today," said Jack Finn, a spokesman for Sen. John Ensign, R-Nevada, who is sponsoring the Senate bill.

The House voted 412-8 for the mandate, and the Senate vote was 95-0.

Lawmakers expect the quick Congressional action means the new list will take effect October 1 as was expected before Wednesday's court ruling.

For once, Congress is good for something!

Comment

That 'cracker' judge was probably correct in his reading of the law from all I've seen .
                            Yup, I applaud the judge's decision. I can't find any power in the Constitution authorising un-elected bureaucrats to write laws.

Comment

Oh yeah, we have an unlisted # so telemarketers don't even call us, but we do gets loads of unsolicited catalogues, brochures, and advertisements thru the mail. And the main reason why is because Congress has decided to charge people more for sending a letter to reduce the cost of business/bulk mail. If Congress treated us all the same (God forbid), these outfits couldn't afford to send us all this crappola everyday...

Comment

Working...
                              X