Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My school is doing something immoral, is it illegal too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My school is doing something immoral, is it illegal too?

Originally posted by Vesayen
    I am now sharing a mail box with some girl I have never even met let alone know if I trust with acess to my mail.... you were pre-approved for a credit card? Well your postal box sharer only has to do a fake signature send it in and spend money on your expense! besides a dozen other terrible scenarios I can think of that have happened EVERY year this sharing policy has been in effect.... thoughts?
    Try one of those awful scenarios, and then see if the school sees sense.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by rev
      I don't think there are laws saying that only one person or entity can lay claim to a mailbox. It is, however, illegal for anyone else to open or read your mail.

My school (Whittier College) had a similar problem (too few mailboxes), so they held a bunch of student mail in the post office, and students had to pick it up during certain hours by showing I.D. God, I hope they've fixed that by the time I go back in the spring.
      Hi, Adam.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

They simply force complete and total strangers to share them!

Why is this immoral and/or illegal? Most people in my undergrad university had to share their mailboxes, so what?

And no, it definetly isn't illegal (or else it would be illegal for roommates to have one mailbox). It is illegal for the other person to steal your mail though.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The school should probably fix the problem for liability reasons. I don't think it would be too far fetched for them to be held civily liable for any damages that resulted from the policy. Somehow, I don't see this being something that there would be a law about. Not exactly a common problem...
          "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
          "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

At the very least they could at least group people by room, which is what they did when I was a freshman. Each room had 1 mailbox in the central building, each room 2 or 3 people.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Seriously, the best idea is to hook up with the girl. You get security and poontang.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Question is, will she cost more than the credit card fraud?
                "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

But then if he strays and some other girl starts writing him love letters . . .
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

At least your school is not having a bake sale where prices are based on race of the buyers . . .
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

They should .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Oh, be quiet and eat your Oreos.

Comment

Which I had to pay .50 for . (Actually I have no idea how much Subcontinentals had to pay)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Which I had to pay .50 for . (Actually I have no idea how much Subcontinentals had to pay)

Comment

Though I wonder how that would have gone if the guy behind the table was a minority.

Anyway, [/end threadjack]

Comment

This is pretty common in colleges, my college did the same. No need to be paranoid, the worst that will happen is your boxmate will leave all her stuff in their and it'll be a pain to check your mail.
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X