Getting rid of lilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of lilo

Sorry, techie help thread (in case anyone wanted to read anything interesting).

A little while ago, I got rid of slackware linux in favour of WinXP home. However, yesterday I re-installed linux on a spare partition, in order to test out the new version of athene (http://www.rocklyte.com/athene). However, upon the realisation that it wouldn't do anything useful, I formatted the drive, getting rid of linux again. However, this time, lilo has remained, and I have to choose at boot whether to load XP or linux. Seeing as how I only have the former OS, its pointless and annoying. How do I get rid of it? I tried control panel - advanced - boot and recovery (or something like that), and had a fiddle but nothing.

Any ideas?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

I find that squeezing the valve and rolling it up slowly usually gets all the air out. Then store it in a cool dry place until next summer. Be careful not to get any stones in it or you might end up with a puncture.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Sorry, it means linux loader, its the program that most distributions have that enables you to choose which OS you want to load, and or load linux.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

I know with Win XP if you have multiple installations you can choice to delete one by following the same process as deleting a user. The help files give you step by step instructions.

Some how I think getting rid of Linux won't be as easy as getting rid of Win XP though. The only thing I can think of is doing yet another reformat.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The thing is that linux has already gone, however the binary in the MBR of the disk hasn't . I'm thinking I reinstall windows, or maybe there's some repair thing on the disk. I don't really want to risk anything until I hear a positive yay or nay from people.

elijah looks at Asher.

Comment

If you reinstall Win XP without reformating then you'll end up with three choices at boot up instead of two.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

lilo overwrites the mbr, iirc.
              B♭3

Comment

Google

Try
                Code:
                lilo -u
                or
                Code:
                fdisk /mbr
                or something.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Mercator: I might be able to do that in knoppix or something... but where will that leave winXP?

Comment

fdisk /mbr you should be able to do from a dos windows in XP.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

My XP installation strangely doesn't have fdisk. I would've recommended this too, otherwise.

Comment

I just tried that, I dont have fdisk

Comment

Boot with Knoppix/equiv, write a lilo.conf that simply loads Windows's own loader automatically, and let it stay there?
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                            I find that squeezing the valve and rolling it up slowly usually gets all the air out. Then store it in a cool dry place until next summer. Be careful not to get any stones in it or you might end up with a puncture.
                            Or if you really want to dispose of it, put a "Caution, wet floor" sign on it, and float it out to see on a falling tide and off-shore wind.
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                              I just tried that, I dont have fdisk
                              It's in the WinXP rescue console, you need to place your WinXP CD in the drive and boot with it, then get to the rescue console.

fdisk /mbr should fix it.

Either that or "FIXBOOT".
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X