Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What history books are you currently reading or have recenly read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve suspected something of this kind.
    Damn those Poles.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Neither Poland nor France were fighting Germany in 1941.

I think Siro's book is something technical about armor. Not a slam at Russia.
      Thanks. You greatly enhanced my knowledge of WW2.

Russians fought against German blitzkrieg strategy in 1941 and I asked which country performed better against blitzkrieg than Russians did in 1941. My point was that in 1941 no one, not Russians, not British, not Americans, not Germans themselves had experience or knowledge how to efficiently resist blitzkrieg style attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Thanks. You greatly enhanced my knowledge of WW2.

Russians fought against German blitzkrieg strategy in 1941 and I asked which country performed better against blitzkrieg than Russians did in 1941. My point was that in 1941 no one, not Russians, not British, not Americans, not Germans themselves had experience or knowledge how to efficiently resist blitzkrieg style attacks.

Yup. Which still doesnt say whether or not there was a Soviet tank fiasco in 1941.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Cesar Imperator by Max Gallo.

Not nearly as good as his Napoleon series.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
            Well, if alternate history counts, I'm reading Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series right now.
            If this is the case, The Stars and Stripes In Perilby Harry Harrison. It's got a lot of flaws but does have some of the historical characters smoothly worked out.

This thread has made me realise how LITTLE history I've been reading lately. Strange, used to love the stuff...
            Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Although I'm not currently reading histories per se, I am reading two novelizations of history:

Time and Change by Sharon Kay Penman about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.

The Iron Pillar by Taylor Caldwell about Cicero.

Comment

also reading "Stealing Secrets, Telling Lies" by John Gannon. A brief history of several key episodes of codebreaking and espionage in the 20th c.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                X