Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What history books are you currently reading or have recenly read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, Bell's not a neo-con, but a post-modernist (which is still a reactionary philosophy, despite what they think of themselves). I think I have that book at home, but I'l have to check.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      IIRC, Bell's not a neo-con, but a post-modernist (which is still a reactionary philosophy, despite what they think of themselves). I think I have that book at home, but I'l have to check.
      I took a course with Bell in college, and he didnt seem PoMo to me - not really neo-con either - not a Straussian. But an Ex-marxist turned centrist, still using some Marxist analytical categories. (and of course all the grad student teaching assistants WERE Marxists)

His big work in the '60's which may look PoMo, was "End of Ideology"
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"The unequalled self"- a biography of Samuel Pepys.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

oh and Bell also wrote "The coming of Post-Industrial Society" - definitely into "Postness" and struggling past Modernism, but not influenced by DeMann, Derrida, Wittgenstein, etc. AFAIK.

Maybe not a neo-con, but he did used to get published in Commentary a fair amount, and was apparently a pal of Irving Kristol.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"Achtung Panzer" by Heinz Guderian. Very interesting for the insight it gives into why the Wehrmacht generally and the panzer forces in particular developed in the way they did.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Warfare in the Classical World by J Warry

the title is self-explanatory
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

“Playboy” by…hell knows by whom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                  The Tank Fisco of 1941 by Vladimir Beshanov. About the history leading to the russian tank fiasco and generally about world war 2.
                  Hey, what fiasco? Russians tanks kicked everyone asses in WW2. Ask Azazel, his grandfather was a tankist.
                  (1941 doesn’t counts).

Comment

Serb - the knee jerk reaction doesn't help you. Russian tanks didn't kick any ass in 1941, because the tankists were illeterate and untrained, and the generals had no experience.

Only later did the situation improve.

Comment

I'm currently rereading Plauges and Peoples by McNeill, which is one of my favorite books (really demonstrates the historical importance of epidemic diseases and really ties everything together with an interesting theoretical framework) and a translation of the Icelandic Sagas which is a surprisingly-gripping read.
                      Both highly recommended
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the coming of The Great War by Robert K. Massie.

Comment

The last one I read -- before my semester began, was Eric Foner's "Reconstruction."
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Right now I'm reading a book about Matt Ridgeway and the WW2 history of the paratroopers called "Ridgeway's Paratroopers", "The Battle for Rome", by Robert Katz, "History of the First World War", by John Keegan, and "The Cryptographers", a history of world cryptology, by David Kahn.
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the coming of The Great War by Robert K. Massie.
                              Oh yeah, come to think about it I'm about mid-way through that one, too.
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Bible
                                National Rifle Association Weekly

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X