Damn those Telemarkerters!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn those Telemarkerters!!!

How the hell do I get rid of these bastards now, they are annoying? I just want to reach through the phone and strangle them!

Court Rules Against Do-Not-Call Registry

By JENNIFER L. BROWN, Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal judge has ruled that the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its authority in creating the national "do-not-call" list against telemarketers.

The ruling Tuesday came in a lawsuit brought by telemarketers who challenged the list of 50 million people who said they do not want to receive business solicitation calls. The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.

U.S. District Judge Lee R. West said the main issue in the case was "whether the FTC had the authority to promulgate a national do-not-call registry. The court finds it did not."

House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Billy Tauzin, R-La., and Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., said Wednesday they were confident the ruling would be overturned and believe Congress did give the FTC the necessary authority.

"We will continue to monitor the situation and will take whatever legislative action is necessary to ensure consumers can stop intrusive calls from unwanted telemarketers," they said in a joint statement.

Calls to the FTC were not immediately returned Wednesday.

Direct Marketing Association Inc., one of the plaintiffs, said it was happy with the ruling, even though it "acknowledges the wishes of millions of U.S. consumers who have expressed their preferences not to receive telephone-marketing solicitations — as evidenced by the millions of phone numbers registered on the FTC list."

The suit was filed by DMA, U.S. Security, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc. and InfoCision Management Corp.

The telemarketing industry estimates the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.

More than a dozen states with do-not-call lists planned to add their lists to the national registry this summer, the FTC said.

Telemarketers would have to check the list every three months to see who doesn't want to be called. Those who call listed people could be fined up to $11,000 for each violation.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

I agree. **** THE TELEMARKETERS. **** THEM ALL.

What's next? State-level do-not-call lists ruled as an abuse of government power against the oh-so-innocent telemarketers?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I suggest you search "Tom Mabe" on google, and your favourite file sharing application.

Comment

They went to a friendly court. The chances of this ruling not being overturned on appeal are about zero.

There is no "free speech" right to telephone residences of people who don't want to be bothered, and the Congress gave the FTC the statutory authority for the list.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Then I guess all "No Soliciting" signs and "No Trespassing" signs should be ignored too... What a dip-sheit decission, is this Judge West on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals or all judges just out right stupid?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Can we reroute all our telemarketing calls to this judge?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It's a judge from one of the FDC's in Oklahoma.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I hope the ruling is overturned. Then Uncle Sam can send the bill for a frivolous lawsuit to the DMA. Pieces of crap telemarketers. No one forced me to sign on to the federal do-not-call list. I signed on voluntarily, and now the DMA dares to question my decision by making a side run around me and whining about the feds?

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

See! This is what happens when judges become activists! Down with activist judges! Off with their heads!

Comment

This better get overturned.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's possible Congress will simply pass a law, since they saw how popular this program by the FTC was with the American public. While the judge may find that the FTC doesn't have the authority to make those kinds of rules (and he may be technically correct, I don't know the law), the Constitution gives Congress the authority to make such laws.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The telemarketing industry estimates the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.
                        huh????
                        Telemarketing industry expects to make sales to people that dont want to buy? There seem to be some outstanding clever managers in the telemarketing industry! I doubt that everyone on the list would bring in $1000 in sales.

ata

Comment

Well consider that possibly out of every 500 calls you get, one might interest you.

Comment

The list is so popular than even is the FTC is found to have oversteped its bounds, then congress will simply pass legislation for it, likely with some punitive extra for revenge on the industry.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

So you'd listen to all 500 calls?

I would just hang up at the first smell of a telemarketing call.

Comment

Working...
                              X