UN Security Council Permanent Members: What a BS idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN Security Council Permanent Members: What a BS idea

The idea of permanent, veto-toting members is complete crap.

While I think that there should always be 5 members with veto powers, how can we say that they should be permanent? These five nations won't necessarily be in power. I mean, France is not one of the more significant nations anymore. Heck, it wasn't even that significant after WWII. I know the reasons each nation received permanent status, but is there any ability to change who the permanent member is? Why shouldn't a nation that proceeds to the forefront of the world (say like India) replace a nation that is declining in power (such as Russia may in the future)?
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

'cause those already in power have the veto, and are going to use it to keep their power.
    B♭3

Comment

If you remove the second, third, fourth and fifth words of the thread title I would agree with you.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

when will people learn that the idea of the un isn't the bad part.

it's the implementation.

idea != implementation.
        B♭3

Comment

Try winning a world war, then you might think differently

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

What has that got to do with it?
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
              Try winning a world war, then you might think differently

So then France is the consilation prize?
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Vetoes make sense. Otherwise, there would be no reason for a great power to accept the validity of the UN. His vote would not be properly weighted due to economic, population, and geography factors.

As for France, they are now #6 in the economic scales and don't have any geographic or population reason to be a council member. The UK is a very close #7, but is more important geographically. One of those seats should be redistributed to Japan or India--or maybe the European seats should be consolidated to one EU seat. I would be willing to increase the number on the security council to 6 to get both Japan and India in the door.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                  What has that got to do with it?
                  It was a completley spurious point aimed at a european neighbour. As WW2 finished nearly 60 years ago I thought it was my duty as a short sighted Brit to bring it up.
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

By what criteria is the UK "more important geographically" than France? I don't understand what you mean.

Comment

It was a completley spurious point aimed at a european neighbour. As WW2 finished nearly 60 years ago I thought it was my duty as a short sighted Brit to bring it up.
                      Which European neighbor would that be?

I'm a red-blooded American

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

I see you got the smily thing all figured out at least.

Comment

Its got more carriers.

Comment

By virtue of the fact that the UK is an island nation, it has its finger in the affairs of more places than does France. This is somewhat less true since the UK gave up Hong Kong.

But I meant it more as a balancing factor between the UK and France, and not an overall argument about the validity of the seat on the council (I dismiss the validity of two seats on economic grounds). As far as I'm concerned, the members of the EU should fight for the seat allocated to them, or share it, as y'all see fit.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

Which European neighbor would that be?

I'm a red-blooded American
                              my apologies, I'll just leave it in aimed at any passing objector to the UK's veto.

Comment

Working...
                              X