Computer problem...Big problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry Seldon

You need a boot floppy to update it. I'll bet that's what Caligastia was talking about. I believe some chips can be blanked, like if you try an update and then cut the power in the middle of it, and if you do that you have to get a new chip.
    Maybe flashing the bios isn't what I'm talking about. I think I meant the update.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Here's the bios upgrade for your board. It looks like it isn't floppy oriented, though so I don't know how you'd get in on there.

Comment

@ Japher

(Perhaps there should be a single smiley for that oft used phrase)
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

You can't even get your memory count? Doesn't sound good...
          What?

Comment

I think your board may have cooling issues:

How long have you had it?

Comment

You read my mind Japher.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I don't know if it's a good idea, but you could try to reset the BIOS. I think there are some jumpers ("clear CMOS") on the motherboard to play around with, otherwise you can simply pull out the battery and put it back after a few minutes.
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Should an Art major be fooling around with the insides of a computer?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

You can't reset BIOS; it's NVRAM. You reset the CMOS that way.

Comment

What is CMOS anyway?
                      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Abbreviation of complementary metal oxide semiconductor. Pronounced see-moss, CMOS is a widely used type of semiconductor. CMOS semiconductors use both NMOS (negative polarity) and PMOS (positive polarity) circuits. Since only one of the circuit types is on at any given time, CMOS chips require less power than chips using just one type of transistor. This makes them particularly attractive for use in battery-powered devices, such as portable computers. Personal computers also contain a small amount of battery-powered CMOS memory to hold the date, time, and system setup parameters.

So no one gets the illusion I'm a hardware genius, I had to go elsewhere for a good description:
                        CMOS is a widely used type of semiconductor that uses both NMOS (negative polarity) and PMOS (positive polarity) circuits.

Comment

How should he flash the bios or boot into safe mode if he cant get past memory check?

Maybe its the power suppy? Have you tried disconnecting unessecary components like cd/dvd drives from the power supply?
                          If its not that I also guess it would be a heat problem.

Or your RAM is kaputt

Comment

But both sticks going out at the same time? I'd think more things on the board or attached would have failed, too. Checking the forum for this board, there appear to be a multitude of problems with it. Glad I don't have one. Sorry, MRT144.

Comment

ive had it now for a few months since july. ill see what i can do later tonight and update tomorrow if possible.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

also i have a thermaltake 6000rpm fan...this is ****ing ridiculous. only christina has helped me get through this by being there for me. i her
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X