What is Human?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon

That sounds like a machine talking to me.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

So, by extension, we can simply kill babies and infants if they become bothersome, sorta like we can put down dogs, right?
      Those babies eventually grow into (mostly) functional humans. Dogs don't.

(Not that putting down dogs is that pleasant either)
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

So, by extension, we can simply kill babies and infants if they become bothersome, sorta like we can put down dogs, right?

Those babies eventually grow into (mostly) functional humans. Dogs don't.

(Not that putting down dogs is that pleasant either)
        interesting that you brought that up.

:-p

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I would argue that babies and infants aren't really human beings yet.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

But our society finds such things deplorable and has outlawed such behavior.
            Our society also outlawed slavery, finding it deplorable. This doesn't mean that there is no right NOT to be a slave, and just because we have laws against murdering babies in our society doesn't make murdering babies an acceptable practice in ANY society.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Who is human?

Anyone with human DNA, defined within a set of parameters which I am not qualified to say.

Comment

nobody responded to my post

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Human-ity, a lot just don't get it....
                  “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                  Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Jon Miller
                    You ask one of the deepest questions in philosophy and you're sad that no one has answered your question yet?
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

yes?

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I would argue that babies and infants aren't really human beings yet.
                        And the pro-choice side marches on...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Jon Miller
                          What you asked was whether we are human when we cease to exercise control over our future 'selves'. This view of life leaves one constantly paranoid, incapable of even trusting oneself (if one can only be thought of as oneself because one's "self" is so transient according to your philosophy) I (personally) cannot subscribe to such a philosophy because I don't like the feeling of insignificance which it lends to life.

If you define human, therefore, as an entity which controls it's future selves, a being with absolute, uninfluenced free will. Since free will is not specific to humans this allows a broad defenition of 'human', since any entity can be said to have free will, with the exception of infants, drug addicts, the disabled, plant life and those living under the influences of despotism who are influenced in their free will not by the despots, but rather by their fear therof.

So... you do not really ask a question, you make a statement. My reply being that while it is possible that your philosophy is valid, it is rather bleak and I shall maintain my view of life which you may term 'simplistic, but why do I care? According to your philosophy you won't exist a moment from now.
                          Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln

And the pro-choice side marches on...

I am pro-choice to an extent, but I recognize that infants and born babies are fully human.

I also oppose partial-birth abortion.

You quit with your ad-hominem attacks now -- Chegitz might be pro-choice, and stands behind his statement about infants and babies, but he certainly does not speak for all of us.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Well Fun, I am glad that you see the difference. Unfortunately some do not know where to draw the line and they extend the concept of "choice" one step further. If choice trumps the rights of the unborn because they hinder the mother's lifestyle then why stop when the baby is born? The concept of choice marches on without you anyway.

Comment

Since free will is not specific to humans this allows a broad defenition of 'human', since any entity can be said to have free will, with the exception of infants, drug addicts, the disabled, plant life and those living under the influences of despotism who are influenced in their free will not by the despots, but rather by their fear therof.
                                Rather I have rethought this, since your philosohy requires a 'human' to have unadaltured control of his future selves no man is truely 'human' noone is human in this defenition unless they are in complete control of the version of themselves immediately proceeding. Am I right now in control of myself .... well... now? Rather not, by dignifying you with a reply I have granted you a bit of influence oin my affairs and am therefore not human.

Unless I misunderstood your post this is what it comes out to be, a human being is an entity whose free will is imposed on his future selves free of outside influences (i.e. drugs, retardation, fear, etc). In such a case it is possible to be human only at specific points in your life, or rather there is a percentage of entities similar enough to be grouped as 'me' which are human, but I would daresay that a far larger percentage are not, by your defenition, human.
                                Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Working...
                                X