Vegetation on Mars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetation on Mars?

I knew there were some claims that vegetation exists on Mars on the basis of real authentic pictures(no sarcasm) like this and this, but I was always sure that the people who say this are the same wackos who claim that Galileo will cause a huge nuclear chain reaction on Jupiter when it crashes into it in couple days.

So it's just another crazy conspiracy theory, and everything is nice and pretty until... look what I find on space.com :

Arthur C. Clarke: Mars Has the Munchies

Mars has a case of the munchies. That is, the red planet is spotted with vegetation with some sort of life feasting on the foliage. So says Arthur Clarke, the noted sci-fi writer and space visionary, making the claim during a recent conference on the space elevator.

[snip]

"Mars is the obvious place," Clarke said. "I'm now quite convinced that Mars is infested with life. Mars orbiter photographs show huge areas of vegetation. I don't think there's any doubt anymore on that. And where there's vegetation, they'll be something nibbling on it," he said.

Clarke? Is this serious?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

I wouldn't trust that. I don't think he's a reliable source.
    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

I rather vegetate on Apolyton than on Mars.
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I bet he is.

He's an excellent sci-fi author and visionary, but since he doesn't have anything to back this up (like, um... evidence) it doesn't mean ****.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

So says Arthur Clarke, the noted sci-fi writer and space visionary,
          I don't think there is nothing to add to this quote.

Saluti
          "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
          The trick is the doing something else."
          — Leonardo da Vinci
          "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
          "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Could they be making the same mistake as 19th century astronomers by mistaking the dust storms as seasonal vegitation?

These make the dark regions on mars.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

It does seem somewhat unlikely that these claims of Martian vegetation are actually true, but it sure would be cool if they were.
              Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
              +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
              http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

what are they supposed to be, trees?

Comment

Fungus at most, and it's a possibility, even with the winds.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Perhaps they are "little green weed"
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

xenofungus?

Comment

He's old and losing it.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

so the question is: will we have Social Psych before Secrets of the Human Brain?

Comment

I don't think there are any vegetarians on Mars. There wouldn't be anything for them to eat...

Comment

AFAIK clarke is a noted believer in panspermia (the idea that life originated somewhere other than the earth and migrated here).

Personally I am sceptical - life tends to change a planet so much that it's easy to detect even when you can't actually see it.
                              19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Working...
                              X