This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch TV or Go to Jail

I hope I'm not the only one upset beacuse of this.
    The laws in America are out of control. I have friends who are law abiding seniors who have gotten woken up at 4am in the local KMart parking lot in their campers, even though the manager says sleeping there is OK, because of a city ordinance. Parents are thrown in jail if their kids are truant. No wonder 47 of 50 states have deficits and there's a $5 TRILLION National debt.

Students locked up after refusing to watch Channel One
    When Ohio teenagers DJ and Carlotta Maurer walked out of their classrooms in October to protest the compulsory viewing of Channel One, a television program with commercials which is shown in schools across America, school officials realized they had a couple of dangerous radicals on their hands. Principal Patrick Calvin invoked the truancy provision of the school's code of student conduct, and 13-year-old DJ and 14-year-old Carlotta were whisked away to the Wood County Juvenile Detention Center, where they had all day to consider their crime.

Since then, Commercial Alert and Obligation, Inc., two national anti-media groups, have taken up the Maurers' cause. The groups wrote to Ohio Governor Bob Taft, urging him to remove Channel One from all public schools.

"When the government sends children to a juvenile detention center because they don't want to watch advertising, that is both Orwellian and more than a little sick," reads the letter. "The public schools ought to be a sanctuary from the noxious aspects of commercial culture."

The governor has not responded to the letter. But the school is in negotiation with the Maurers, who have religious objections to television. It seems a day in the lockup didn't cool their heels enough to keep them from kicking.

– Eliza Strickland

From the Mar/Apr 2001 issue of Adbusters magazine.

schools in this country = fascism...
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That was 2 years ago... what happened?
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Truancy laws are at least reasonable. The article you gave us was just ridiculous, however.

EDIT: Wait? 2 years ago? I prefer my trolls even that I agree with to be up to date. Sorry
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

That is screwed up. I am opposed to advertising in schools. Why were they forced to watch that channel?
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Do the crime... do the time...

If one of the rules is, you have to take tests... you take the tests... if one is, you have to watch Channel One... watch Channel One.

The schools get money and equipment for having Channel one... It could mean an extra teacher or equipment they can't afford to buy. The schools are trying their best... and Channel One gives them a way to do things better.

If the kids parents have "religious" problems with it... they should send their kids to a private school.

Deal with it.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ming, on the other hand, however, Channel One has lots of advertising and it's really ridiculous to push a news organisation that might be biased on its students.

There should be an option to not watch it and do something else. Besides, don't you think a day in jail is a little extreme?

If the kids parents have "religious" problems with it... they should send their kids to a private school.
              What happened to the part of the First Amendment where they said the government couldn't discriminate against religion? I don't care how silly it is, it's still the first amendment. Channel One is not necesary to the operation of a school, which would be different from if a child had a religious preference towards Archway Cookies or something for writing instead of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                schools in this country = fascism...
                Your avatar is just so fitting, Sava.

What the hell is channel one? Never heard of it.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                  Do the crime... do the time...

If one of the rules is, you have to take tests... you take the tests... if one is, you have to watch Channel One... watch Channel One.

The schools get money and equipment for having Channel one... It could mean an extra teacher or equipment they can't afford to buy. The schools are trying their best... and Channel One gives them a way to do things better.

Deal with it.
                  sorRY coNFOrmIST MiDELE AgED FOGEY !!!! FIGHT THE SYSTME... BURN!!!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What happened to the part of the First Amendment where they said the government couldn't discriminate against religion?
                    It's against my religion to take tests then
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

What the hell is channel one? Never heard of it.
                      Television "news" program that schools can get and set aside 15 minutes or so to watch. As Ming said, schools get equipment and money for showing it, but as I said, it's got a huge amount of advertising in it.

Comment

seriously though, this is bad... has this society got it's priorities so messed up that we are selling commercial time to corporations in order to fund education?
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's against my religion to take tests then
                          And then I tried to be reasonable and give you the exception of school efficiency being at stake.

(I know, I know, you're joking )

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                            There has to be a line though.
                            How far should a school whore itself out to commercial interests to raise a bit of extra cash before does more harm than good?

I remember reading somewhere that a school was being paid money by Coca-Cola (the school was 'sponsored' by Coke or something) and a kid got suspended coming to school in a Pepsi shirt for a joke.

Would that be a case of "If one of the rules is, you have to go along with the Coke advertising... you have to go along with the coke advertising"

Comment

Glad I don't live south of the border.

Bunch of totaltarians. Jail time for skiping class?
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X