X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well

Diamond Age is hopelessly behind.

I really like the user post on Years of Rice and Salt:

The Years of Rice and Salt is a sleeping pill in book format.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It's America's loss.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: Oh well

Originally posted by pchang
        Diamond Age is hopelessly behind.

I really like the user post on Years of Rice and Salt:

The Years of Rice and Salt is a sleeping pill in book format.
        Well, yes. For me the first third was pretty boring. But all things considered, it was a pretty good read.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

How could Left Hand be losing to Years of Rice and Salt?

Literary masterpiece vs. boring piece of crap. Let me think...
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

bias

There is clearly a right handed bias on Apolyton
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch
              Sigh, obviously not everyone read all of this thread before voting, because we have just had ANOTHER vote for Tits-Out Teenage Terror Totty.
              Well really, who reads the thread then votes? The whole point of having the poll at the top of the page, surely is to encourage impulsive, spontaneous voting without being swayed by the biased content of the thread.

I voted for Tits-Out Teenage Terror Totty as well.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Exactly, pchang. Bigots.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

An even more important question is, how many polytoners have even read ONE stainless steel rat book?
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

nope.

I've read three.
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                      An even more important question is, how many polytoners have even read ONE stainless steel rat book?
                      I've read five.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

escapist fun

I've read every one I could get hold of. However, they are merely derivative shadows of the Retief short stories and books.

Comment

Ugh! Derivative shadows??? Hardly!

At least not the one I mentioned. Definitely my favorite of the series.
                          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                            How could Left Hand be losing to Years of Rice and Salt?

Literary masterpiece vs. boring piece of crap. Let me think...
                            I haven't read LHoD, but Wizard of Earthsea is utter crud.

Years is a fun read.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I hated all the Mars books

probably won't read Years

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I read it and enjoyed it once I'd got used to how it was written and figured out what was going on. Bit long though.

Comment

Working...
                                X