• Show
Clear All

• Palestinian Govt. Officials Admit Arafat IS An Obstacle

Palestinian leaders grapple with Arafat
    President accused of 'drowning' struggle in political discord

Wednesday, September 17, 2003
    San Francisco Chronicle

Matthew Kalman, Chronicle Foreign Service

Ramallah, West Bank -- Incoming Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia was meeting with his future Cabinet Thursday when a fierce argument erupted between Interior Minister-designate Gen. Nasser Yousef and President Yasser Arafat.

Qureia had asked Yousef to take the key post of deputy prime minister responsible for security forces, charged with uniting the 40,000 Palestinian police officers in 14 separate paramilitary units into one force under Cabinet control.

But Arafat was having none of it. Instead, he insisted that a proposed national security council, which he would head himself, would control the police and determine security policy.

"All revolutions in the world have succeeded, apart from the Palestinian revolution -- and that's because of your incompetence," Yousef told Arafat angrily.

According to witnesses at the meeting, Arafat rose, cursed and spat at the general.

Yousef spat back, adding: "I am a man of his word who respects agreements and doesn't lie."

The rancorous exchange revealed the deep fissures splitting the Palestinian Authority as it struggles to grapple with a conflict that has spun out of control since both Israel and the Palestinians abandoned a three-month truce and effectively shunted aside the U.S.-backed "road map" to peace.

Mohammed Dahlan, security chief under outgoing Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, said in an interview that the Palestinians are "drowning" in political infighting, and he laid the blame at Arafat's feet.

"Our Cabinet faced difficulties from the political leadership of the Palestinian Authority, in addition to the opposition factions and Israel," said Dahlan. "If this internal strife continues and if this political vacuum goes on, no one can predict what will happen."

The rancor over the Arafat-Yousef spitting match was overshadowed only minutes later when the Israeli Cabinet labeled Arafat "an obstacle to peace" and said he should be "removed" -- by means that could include expulsion and even assassination.

Now that the dust has settled, Qureia is once more trying to finalize his Cabinet. But judging by the experience of his predecessor, it will not be an easy ride.

Arafat beat back similar efforts by Abbas to wrest control of security forces from him, triggering the collapse of Abbas' government after only 100 days.

When Abbas announced his resignation on Sept. 6, he spelled out for shocked Palestinian legislators just how difficult it was to be Arafat's prime minister.

Two days earlier, masked members of Arafat's Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades -- dispatched from the Palestinian leader's compound -- had attacked the Palestinian council building and spray-painted slogans on it branding Abbas a traitor.

"Those who did so were incited against us and paid to brand us as collaborators," Abbas told the council in comments that were supposed to remain confidential but were leaked by council members.

The Al Aqsa rampage was the final straw for the proud Abbas, who said he was fighting a war of political attrition from the moment he took office.

Arafat blocked financial reforms, he said, because they threatened illegal slush funds Arafat was using to pay for the intifada.

Palestinian Authority officials' salaries are paid by the European Union, but Arafat or his cronies were skimming off up to 15 percent in income taxes and using it for their own causes, Abbas suggested. "Personally, I don't know where those funds go," he said. "When we wanted to cancel them, they said: 'You're harming the intifada.' "

Abbas also said that Arafat opposed efforts to stop paying thousands of police officers in cash -- a system that encourages corruption and the siphoning off of funds for undercover groups, such as Al Aqsa, the military wing of Arafat's Fatah organization.

Arafat objected to introducing a statutory retirement age, fearing his loyalists would be replaced. He also insisted on maintaining control over regional governors, foreign embassies and the civil service.

"A minister cannot appoint a deputy or director-general without Arafat's approval," Abbas said. "The ministers have no control over who is hired and who is fired; it all reverts to the president."

In fact, Abbas said Arafat had done everything he could to keep the spotlight off him when he was prime minister, even ordering Palestine TV to run cartoons instead of broadcasting the prime minister's meeting with Secretary of State Colin Powell. Instead of covering his historic White House meeting with President Bush, Palestine TV aired a movie about a popular Egyptian dancer.

Early signs indicate that Qureia is not faring much better as he tries to form a government.

Members of the Fatah Central Committee -- the Arafat-dominated panel that has been invited by Qureia to nominate 16 of his 24 ministers -- said Tuesday that the discussions about the new government had been concerned only with personalities, not with policy.

"There is no plan, no discussion about the program of the new government," said one senior Fatah insider.

Saeb Erekat, a prominent Palestinian negotiator and likely minister in the new Cabinet, disputed that, saying the new government does have a vision, but he refused to specify how it would differ from its predecessor.

.5 "We have a security and political plan to resume the peace talks with Israel and organize our security forces," said Erekat. "We are also working to achieve a cease-fire that would allow the two sides to return to the negotiating table. I can't outline the security plan because the national security council is still working on it."

Dahlan insisted, however, that the national security council was simply a tool for keeping power in Arafat's hands.

"It has no practical program," he said. "What we need on the security level is to unite security efforts . . . and to organize the work of the security forces."

The adoption of the road map for peace and the appointment of a Palestinian prime minister were designed by the international community to sideline Arafat and reduce his central role in Palestinian politics.

But Israel's threat to remove Arafat has returned the Palestinian leader to center stage, stronger than ever. Persuading him to give up control of the police and paramilitary forces is thus likely to be even more difficult for Qureia than it was for Abbas.

"Yasser Arafat is the elected leader of the Palestinian people -- he cannot be removed by outside interference," said Arafat spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh. "Nobody could fill the vacuum."

Knowing the incompetence of the Israeli governments, i'm pretty sure that Arafat will be here for at least a decade. Sucks.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I have a great idea. Replace Arafat with a double that looks exactly like him but acts reasonable.

That will solve the problem
      Blah

Comment

Arafat, rat-faced bastard.

1 bullet would do it.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          I have a great idea. Replace Arafat with a double that looks exactly like him but acts reasonable.

That will solve the problem

Nice concept but nobody'd be fooled by that.
          key owrds "acts reasonable"
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Arafat, rat-faced bastard.

1 bullet would do it.
            What ever happened to your preference for Texas-style hanging?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I hang them if I can get close enough to grab them. Otherwise, pop!

I prefer a .308 , though some like .243 ; and .223 is a cheap load, but MtG uses a 30.06 in his sniper endeavors.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wow, internal palestinians disagreement: given how many times other pals have tried to assasinate Arafat, this is nothing new.

It also shows that if only another pal. politicians was given the chance to get something for the average Pal in the street, they could move against Arafat.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  Wow, internal palestinians disagreement: given how many times other pals have tried to assasinate Arafat, this is nothing new.

It also shows that if only another pal. politicians was given the chance to get something for the average Pal in the street, they could move against Arafat.
                  that gets to the point of HOW to remove the obstacle. Im not sure the above article supports your method, though I agree it does not rule it out.

The main point of the original post was to show how Arafat is an obstacle.

It was also interesting how it indicated that Arafat used control of the media to undercut Abbas. Presumably if Israel makes concessions to Abu Alla, while Arafat still controls the media, Arafat will manipulate it to deny Abu Ala credit, as he did with Abbas.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Abbas in his farewell accused theSharon government of ebing a huge obstace for him, so he had a lot of people to blame. No one is syaing Aaraft is not an obstacle: but only the Sharon goevrnemtn says he is the central obstacle. As for control of the media, well, maybe Ala should start there in trying to undermine Arafat.

Comment

Was the Sharon government blocking every attempt at reform he made?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                        Was the Sharon government blocking every attempt at reform he made?
                        No, they were not taking the confidence building stes Abaas felt they neede to take at that point to help Abbas in his fight with Arafat. Which is why, again, Abbas blamed everyone.

Comment

Abbas in his farewell accused theSharon government of ebing a huge obstace for him, so he had a lot of people to blame. No one is syaing Aaraft is not an obstacle: but only the Sharon goevrnemtn says he is the central obstacle. As for control of the media, well, maybe Ala should start there in trying to undermine Arafat.

I certainly wouldnt have expected Abbas to thank Sharon for only making the minimum concessions that Sharon had to. I would suspect though that to maintain a role in Pal politics (and personal survival) it serves better to blame Sharon than to blame Arafat.

Comment

well yeah, but why wouldnt arafat use the same methods to keep control of the media that he did to keep control of the security forces?

Comment

8 weeks and i say Arafat is history. i'm not saying he'll be dead (although i would not be surpirsed at all), but, he'll be completely out of the picture.

that's all i give him. this US veto has already set things in motion.

Comment

Working...
                              X