Who Are Our (US) Allies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Are Our (US) Allies?

Here is an interesting National Review article about who we should consider our allies, friends, neutrals, and enemies and how our military should be postured to take account of these facts.

The money shot is...

We should also accept the notion that neutrals are not allies, and thus should not pillory them for their triangulation. We are angry at France only because it is a duplicitous ally; once we cease seeing it as a close friend, we will be no more angry with it than we are with Sweden or New Zealand — which both have at times expressed their anti-Americanism, and expect nothing from us should they find themselves in crises. Germany's behavior now grates on us, but only because we expect it to be a Britain — rather than a Belgium, to which it is far more closely attuned. We should never be angry with Canada, simply because we should never expect anything from it — inasmuch as it has long ago decided to emulate the European Union model. Let us respect its status as a neutral and pacifistic state that neither wishes nor deserves cooperation with the United States in defense matters.

By the same token, we must cease treating belligerents as friends and friends as neutrals (or worse). It makes absolutely no sense, for example, that Egypt has hundreds of Abrams tanks (that can only be used against Israel) while Australia has none. Indeed, the latter proved resolute and supportive in our current crisis; the former, constantly critical. More importantly, Australia is a rich, democratic, continent-sized nation, with common traditions and values like our own — and has been at our side through every major war.
    Some of the article has too fine a point to it, but it's useful nonetheless.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Satan, of course.

More seriously, I'd say everyone's pretty much pissed at us. Our allies rank at 0, depending upon your definition of ally.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

If this is the case, then why are we spending our money stationing troops in other countries when it is not directly to our benefit?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

A base is kaka. Use aircraft carriers. **** the Air Force.

Comment

As I say, Britain and maybe Israel, and start over from there.

TCO, the only thing worse than the Navy is the Girl Scouts.
          Bunch of pussies.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A man is only truly free at sea. The Air Force is like a civil service. I took some MAC flights. They were more persnickety than Delta. Than I took a USMC hop. It was totally laid back. Hung out in the cockpit and all.

Comment

We can mostly use our bases in the US anyway. It's nice to be able to fly out of Diego Garcia or the UK sometimes, though, if only for the faster turnarounds.

We've got to have some way of inserting and extracting our UAVs, I guess.

Comment

Maybe it is to your benefit when one needs to project power quickly around the globe?

Oh, and that article contains a lot of whining.
                Blah

Comment

US Allies? NATO and the rest of the Democratic World. Following along with some dip**** politician's little war is NOT the definition of an Ally. I think Britain, France, and Germany are our strongest allies. In a TRUE emergency... when there IS a real IMMENENT threat (not manipulations and distortions) they would be with us. Unfortunately, war-profiteering and ideologically blind politicians have alienated our allies with their lies.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Maybe it is to your benefit when one needs to project power quickly around the globe?
                    Explain what you mean.

Comment

USMC? Oh thats the definitive in flight, no question.

Stupidass squids.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

what about Australia? we go an fight in all your wars...
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Come on, Horse. You could at least read the first post...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

AH: Didn't you read the second paragraph that I quoted?

Comment

Come on. Military bases around the globe help to move troops around the globe.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X