Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New study says Germans are the laziest workers

New study says Germans are the laziest workers

The image of the Germans as a hard-working, efficient work force has been damaged by a study suggesting they're one of the laziest nations in the world.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development found Germans spend just a sixth of their time at work.

Germans work an average of 1,447 hours a year, but the Americans clock up 1,805 hours and the Japanese 1,859.

Koreans who top the workaholics table with 2,447 hours.

And the Germans also fare better than most other countries when it comes to holidays. With an average of 43 days off a year, 30 days holiday and up to 13 bank holidays, the Germans beat the Brits by nine and a half days. The Americans in comparison only get 23 days to rest.

Not only do Germans work less during their working lives but they also retire earlier.

Germans retire, on average, aged 60.3 years. Workers in Britain do not usually start to cash in their pensions until they are 62.6 years of age. In the US this figure increases to 64.6 years and in Japan they work until 68.5.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_816152.html?menu=news.quirkies

I'm not sure which is more surprising, that Germans are lazy, or that South Koreans work 35% more hours than Americans!

Okay, back to work! Except you Germans!
    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Ghodam Germans! Don't they know that arbeit macht frei?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

When you're efficient, I guess you can work less.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The NAFTA area is more open to foreign competetion then the EU is so we've had to competete against Asian workaholics for several decades now while Euros have been much more protected. That's one reason American workers feel less secure at their jobs and work so many more hours then Euro workers.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

How does that mean they are lazy?

You could just as easily say that Americans are screwed hardest.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The other idea is that Europeans are restricted from working long hours by labour legislation. Those that wish to work longer are either stopped from doing so, or emigrate - to the US.

Hence you get a influx of people into the US of people who prefer more income to leisure, and those that prefer more leisure remain in Europe.

All that we see is therefore the large-scale result of people's individual choices.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              How does that mean they are lazy?

You could just as easily say that Americans are screwed hardest.
              exactly. the protestant work ethic the hardlining pilgrims brought over gave us little vacations.

that doesn't mean the germans are LAZY, not at all. they may bust their ass for all you know.

you won't be calling them lazy when the next reich pops up either.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

die deutschen sind nicht fleissig?

ok, what disturbs me is that between korea and slovakia, the next hardest working country, there's still a full 400 hour difference.
                B♭3

Comment

Germany is where Protestantism started, Uber.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

We were deciding on vendors sometime ago to build a machine for us, one deciding factor was that Germans take all of September off, for the most part. That really screws ya when your on a time line.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Germany is where Protestantism started, Uber.
                      yes, i know all about martin luther. but those are lutherans. we got calvinists.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

I heard it was August they take off. Anyway, we should get August off.

Comment

It might of been August. Still, a whole month off!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

I heard it was August they take off. Anyway, we should get August off.
                            and have the world grind to a screetching halt every august?

Comment

It just means American's are dumbasses in that regard.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X